T/C cleaning agents

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylorhaught

Reaction score
I shoot the Triumph and use the standard T/C cleaning agents and bore butter. My questions is that I noticed T/C has two different cleaning agents the No. 13 and T17, what is the difference and should I use one or the other? Should I use bore butter or something else?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated

Honestly, i wouldn't waste my money on that cleaning stuff.

For all of my black powder firearms i use hot soapy water with 3 cap fulls of pine sol, a little soap and 5 sprays of Windex.

Dry and then run one patch with Rem oil with teflon.

Save the bore butter if you are shooting patched round balls or lubing conicals.

AGENTS

taylor
i been using reminton bore cleaner on a patch with bronze brush
a few strokes then to break free -- seems to work very well
but am shootin BH209 and the cleanup was very easy!
even tho its the way to do it with bp
somehow soakin a gun in H2O just goes agin the grain
season is gettin close!

They work, but I like windshield warsher and ALK 50/50 for all but Black Horn 209 90+% ALK works so well in it that I dont even look for something else, if you use ALK dont forget to oil it it takes all the oil out of the pores in the metal and will rust if you dont protect it. Lee

Taylor,

I have used the No 13 cleaner for years and the T17 cleaning items for the last 2 years on my Encore Pro Hunter and they both work great for me. The T17 line was suppose to be made for cleaning Triple 7 pellets and powder and is probably about the same as No 13 if the truth was known. You will open a big up can of worms on this forum if you ask about Bore Butter because people either love it or hate it. I have used Bore Butter since the 80?s in each of my black powder rifles with not one issue but then again I do not use modern cleaners that are oil based just like the directions state not too. In my opinion, TC makes and sells good products and if they recommend their use then that is good enough for me. Some of these products might be pricey but I buy mine off-season at Wal-Mart for about ? price.

Curtis

IMO...T/C #13 is about the bottom of the barrel when it comes to cleaners. Birchwood/Casey #77 Black Powder Solvent is WAY better followed closely by Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine.

When I was trying out Triple 7 powder, the best thing I found to get rid of the nasty crud ring was the CVA Barrel Blaster foaming cleaner. I give the bore a shot of that stuff and leave it sit for 5 minutes then patch. Squeeky clean with very little effort.

Last year I started using a 50/50 mix of Simple Green concentrate and water. I use it for regular black powder as well as 777 and IMHO it works as well as anything else I have tried. Just make sure you get it dry and lubed after you use a water based cleaner

I noticed a difference at the range last week between #13 and T7. I was shooting 777 pellets and started out using T7 patches between shots. No crud ring and no difference in fouling between shots. I ran out of T7 after 10 shots and switched to #13. I imediately noticed that the fouling between shots increased dramatically and I started getting more smoke when I shot. I used one wet and one dry patch between shots with T7 and one wet and two dry patches with #13. My accuracy did not change and I did not have a crud ring. I was shooting My Ultimate with 4-777 pellets and 290-300 grain bullets and Federal large rifle magnum primers.

Back