T/C Hawken .45 cal rock lock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Am buying one from the widow of a dear friend who recently passed away. It is a 5 digit serial number, pre warning and is in decent shape. He got it back from a nephew just before he passed. The rifle was my friend's dad's and was missing for many years. I hope the bore is still good. The rifle shows its age and use and I hope to take a mess of critters with it in our post Christmas flintlock season.
Anybody shooting a similar rifle? How is your accuracy when charges go up? It is a 1-48, which is fine for balls, but I will be shooting conical too. I have a 1-20 twist 45 Black Diamond and enjoy it very much. That rifle was a gift from my late friend and is priceless. He and his dad both took deer with the Hawken, so I like the history.
Thanks for the help

Confederate rifleman said:
Am buying one from the widow of a dear friend who recently passed away. It is a 5 digit serial number, pre warning and is in decent shape. He got it back from a nephew just before he passed. The rifle was my friend's dad's and was missing for many years. I hope the bore is still good. The rifle shows its age and use and I hope to take a mess of critters with it in our post Christmas flintlock season.
Anybody shooting a similar rifle? How is your accuracy when charges go up? It is a 1-48, which is fine for balls, but I will be shooting conical too. I have a 1-20 twist 45 Black Diamond and enjoy it very much. That rifle was a gift from my late friend and is priceless. He and his dad both took deer with the Hawken, so I like the history.
Thanks for the help

I don’t shoot, or own a Flintlock, but i do have a few stock 1:48 twist TC Hawken and Renegade Barrels, Mine shoot a Lyman Plains bullet very well, That is a ‘Middle of the road’ Twist, designed to shoot either Roundball or Conical, And usually 1 better than the other. The 1:48 is not considered a Master at either projectile, keep tinkering with loads and you will find what it needs/likes. Hard to beat a good ole Maxi Ball, After all TC Designed them for their 1:48 Twist :yeah:

Gotcha. Oddly enough, the smaller calibers, even with ball, call for a faster twist than the larger ones. With the TC, I believe the most limiting factor for ball shooting was the shallow rifling and not ( necessarily) the rate of twist.
I will try the old 230 grain maxi ball, and might even give a minie a fling. Fingers are crossed for a good bore! Up until this one, I had heard tell of but never seen a 45 Hawken.
This will be fun!

Confederate rifleman said:
Gotcha. Oddly enough, the smaller calibers, even with ball, call for a faster twist than the larger ones. With the TC, I believe the most limiting factor for ball shooting was the shallow rifling and not ( necessarily) the rate of twist.
I will try the old 230 grain maxi ball, and might even give a minie a fling. Fingers are crossed for a good bore! Up until this one, I had heard tell of but never seen a 45 Hawken.
This will be fun!

Have fun with it! :yeah: And TC definitely did make a .45 Cal in their 15/16” Hawken, i see them for sale on the various gun sites from time to time

I have the Hawken now.
Her bore seems perfect! The set trigger is excellent and unset is quite good too. Smooth and not a tug o war. I'm encouraged because I haven't cleaned and lubed the lock yet.
She sparks decently, but I might get a Lyman frizzen installed. Sparks. If some is good, more IS better!
The fit and finish is excellent, but she shows some service. Someone put a set of plastic fiber op sights on her </: Will put on an aperture and blade combo asap.
I'm hoping she will be the flintlock I shoot well. Haven't had the best of luck with them.
Another adventure!

Latest posts

Back