T/C Hawken .50

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heat

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Found this at my local gun store and decided to give it a shot. Probably paid too much but not sure. $300+tax. They were asking $50 more. Stock is in great shape. Barrel has some finish missing on one side near the muzzle but the rest of the blue looks ok. Some pitting near the lock on the barrel but not terrible. The bore looks ok but not pristine. Might be able to shine it up some. We'll see how it goes.20230105_185947.jpg20230105_190021.jpg

Right on guys! I have a lot to learn about these guns but there is a lot of good info online. Thanks for the encouragement. Already figuring how to take stuff apart. Got some more of the red cancer off too. Now I want to see if I can square the hammer up on the nipple some. I think there are shims I can use. Won't know if it really "needs" it or not until I try to shoot, but for now the OCD side of me doesn't like it not coming down in the center.

For the bore you can use a thin scotch brite pad with a smaller (.36?) jag. Also JB bore paste. Depending on how much adjusting the hammer needs you may be able to heat/bend it instead of shims. My Hawken is 45 years to me. Have fun. Most Hawkens shoot T/C Maxi Ball and Maxi Hunters well. Not sure about sabots.

If it's in decent shape you got a pretty good deal. I have seen prices in the 450-500 range now for TC Hawkens and Renegades. Prices for the TC sidelocks has creeped up considerably the past 2 years.

Nice catch. Let us know how it shoots after you have some range time.

Got the nipple off and inspected. Looks like its ok. Found a TC #11/musket combo wrench yesterday that came home with me along with some caps. Going to try some 10s until I can find 11s. Local store sold out day before I bought my gun. Got balls and patches on the way but if I can find some around here I might just get more. Going to have a tough time finding real black around here. Have plenty BH 209 and 777 on hand.

Back