T/C muzzle loaders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maliboy67

Reaction score
I currently have a T/C Impact and really like it, I have decided to spend more time shooting a muzzle loader. It's not that I'm not happy with the impact but I would like something with a longer better built barrel, more solid platform. I know the pro hunters are an excellent setup but if I don't want a multi barrel setup will any of the other models compare, like the bone collector for instance? Any thoughts would be helpful. I just don't want to rush out and buy a pro hunter for X dollars and find out I could have had a rifle just as well setup for hundreds less that is a dedicated muzzle loader without the barrel changeability.

I am a little biased but take a look at the Omega. I have been extremely happy with mine and have helped about a dozen new shooters set up Omegas and every one has been a shooter. They are now discontinued (Big mistake TC!!! :x ) but can still be found new in most stores.

maliboy67 said:
I currently have a T/C Impact and really like it, I have decided to spend more time shooting a muzzle loader. It's not that I'm not happy with the impact but I would like something with a longer better built barrel, more solid platform. I know the pro hunters are an excellent setup but if I don't want a multi barrel setup will any of the other models compare, like the bone collector for instance? Any thoughts would be helpful. I just don't want to rush out and buy a pro hunter for X dollars and find out I could have had a rifle just as well setup for hundreds less that is a dedicated muzzle loader without the barrel changeability.

Just as an FYI......the Impact barrels are made on the same machine as the Encores. I had a high end Encore & my Impacts both shoot & handle better.

i must 2nd THE OMEGA 50cal. of all my hunting style muzzleloaders i have shot this one the least
over the counter load plus box of 777 pellets on paper out of box left the range and started killing deer.
that was like a decade ago and it still does that every year holds its own.
it is rock solid shoots very well. better then i do really.
only thing i do not like about the design is the clearance from hammer to scope.
i have big hands if TC would have made the hammer in a non smooth polished finish it would have been a better design.

here is a side by side review.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/the-tc- ... un-review/

in this review you will see they loaded the weapon with 150 gr, = 3 pellets of 50/50

mine never did shoot well with this heavy load.
90 gr of triple 7 loose powder or 100 gr = 2 50/50 pellets is what mine liked the best
with the tc shockwave 250-300 gr with a black sabot.

The impact is a good rifle...but it sounds like the sickness is starting to get to you....i have 5 now and wish for more.

GregK said:
Just as an FYI......the Impact barrels are made on the same machine as the Encores. I had a high end Encore & my Impacts both shoot & handle better.
This is exactly the information I am interested in hearing. The only thing I don't like on the impact is the stock iron sights. I have a Williams peep sight for mine and a 1.5-6x scope but keep putting the peep back on. Maybe I should get a second one and mount the scope on it :D

I have to agree with a couple of the other fellows on the Omega. All of the guns mentioned thus far are good quality rifles but the Omega will certainly be remembered as one of T/Cs best value muzzleloaders. Easy to clean and very accurate for the dollars.

GregK said:
maliboy67 said:

X2, I'm with Greg...... I also have an Impact and find it highly accurate.

I'll bet the Omega is an excellent rifle, my problem is being in Canada and having a limited number of dealers. I have checked everywhere for T/C rifles and all I can find are the Impact and Pro hunter. I found a Pro hunter FX that had been sold minutes before and now can't get one until late spring so if the omega is discontinued I will have no chance of getting one here. :( There are also plenty of Triumphs and Bone collectors.

maliboy67 said:
I'll bet the Omega is an excellent rifle, my problem is being in Canada and having a limited number of dealers. I have checked everywhere for T/C rifles and all I can find are the Impact and Pro hunter. I found a Pro hunter FX that had been sold minutes before and now can't get one until late spring so if the omega is discontinued I will have no chance of getting one here. :( There are also plenty of Triumphs and Bone collectors.

Be patient. They sold a ton of them. They will be around.

I second the notion of the discontinuation being a big mistake. I guess break action is popular but it will be very difficult to top the Omega for many reasons.

I own an Omega and I think the design of the gun can't be beat, as long as you shoot sabots and don't want/need to shoot conicals. A design flaw on many (not all) of T/C guns with a QLA (false muzzle) makes shooting conicals iffy

If you get a second gun, why not get one that will shoot sabots and conicals? Knights and the later model CVAs will shoot both well. Even though you may only shoot sabots now, you might get the bug some day to experiment with conicals. I shoot only conicals and had to have the QLA cut off of my Omega for it to shoot them well.

In case you think that this was just a problem with my gun, search the issue and you will see that it is widespread. I even sent my gun back to the factory and they told me it was a sabot gun and I should shoot sabots and that the barrel was fine. They now only claim accuracy with sabots, but when I bought the gun, it said on their website: "shoots sabots and conicals equally well". Mine shot conicals at 5-8 inch groups at 25 yards.

I'm, Curtis a newbie to the forum. I have been shooting muzzleloaders for over 30 years and own 3. One is the Omega, it will shot moa with 100 grains Pyrodex RS, 45/50 300 grain Hornady SST with super slide sabot, and CCI 209M primer. This load retains enough energy at 250 yards for a clean kill. It is topped with a Simmons Whitetail /Expedition but I would like to buy the Nikon Omega for the bullet drop feature designed specifically for this rifle. Have you looked for a used Omega? It has been several years since I bought one so I am not to up to date, just started trying to catch up on new ideas that are out there, that's why I joined this forum. One rifle I did find interesting is the LHR Redemption. When T/C sold out to S&W and they moved the facilities 4 of their employees formed their own company. These 4 guys have 80 years combined experience and came up with new in-line design. What is so interesting is the breech plug, It is inserted into a sleeve, sealed with an o ring and threaded externally on the barell. There are different breech inserts for using different powders. It looks and breaks open like a single shot shotgun. Has anyone handled, shot, or know of anyone who has? I'd like to hear their thoughts. Thanks and have a great holiday season.

I found a dealer that had a standard Encore, blue with black synthetic furniture. It has a .50 muzzle loader barrel on it. I couldn't pass up the price, it was less then half of the cost of a Pro Hunter. I realize it doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it is the same solid platform. If I have problems with accuracy I know where I can send the barrel to have the QLA removed and recrowned. It took a lot of digging as most only carry the Pro hunter platform and not the standard Encore. I will post results once I get it in my hands, check things over and spend time at the range.

got to clean a buddies bone collector this weekend during a hunt. Speed Breech is a joke I can get mine out of my omega faster with 7/16s w Extension. who designs this stuff.

My Encore has a standard breech plug as does my impact. I had a chance to see how the speed breech works and like the idea of no tools. That being said I use Black horn 209 and don't have problems with a sticky breech plug. I think the new designs are to keep people happy as there seems to be many posts around the internet about "my stuck breech plug".

maliboy67 said:
My Encore has a standard breech plug as does my impact. I had a chance to see how the speed breech works and like the idea of no tools. That being said I use Black horn 209 and don't have problems with a sticky breech plug. I think the new designs are to keep people happy as there seems to be many posts around the internet about "my stuck breech plug".

I've shot Encores since they came out and never had a stuck breech plug. Never had a problem with my 209x50 Pro Hunter. If the breech plug is properly greased and the rifle cleaned after shooting, there shouldn't be a stuck breech plug. I've shot 100 rounds on days, with only the cleaning of the flash channel and the plugs come out as easy as shooting just one shot. Even when I was shooting Knights and 2f, I never had a stuck breech plug.

Yes you can get some blow buy from poorly fitting plugs but, if they're greased properly they should turn right out. IMO

ENCORE50A said:
maliboy67 said:

I've shot Encores since they came out and never had a stuck breech plug. Never had a problem with my 209x50 Pro Hunter. If the breech plug is properly greased and the rifle cleaned after shooting, there shouldn't be a stuck breech plug. I've shot 100 rounds on days, with only the cleaning of the flash channel and the plugs come out as easy as shooting just one shot. Even when I was shooting Knights and 2f, I never had a stuck breech plug.

Yes you can get some blow buy from poorly fitting plugs but, if they're greased properly they should turn right out. IMO
Yes I agree that of you prep your breech plug properly you won't have problems, but we know that no matter how many times instructions are given there are always those that choose to ignore them! Then there is an engineer somewhere that comes up with an idea to help them!!

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately here in Canada the FX is $800! I got the standard encore with the .50x209 barrel for $499

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk

Back