t7 or pyodox which is better

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunterdeeriowa

Reaction score
the question i have is which is better t7 or pyodox ? cleaning is not the problem only while at the range. which is best for hunting , knock down power is what i want. can anyone give info on this please.
thank you hunterdeeriwoa

T7 is a little hotter than pryrodex and therefore a little more speed of your bullet. T7 is supposed to be cleaner burning but does leave a crud ring which need attention. IMO they both work well so take your pick. I've kill deer with both.

RAF said:
T7 is a little hotter than pryrodex and therefore a little more speed of your bullet. T7 is supposed to be cleaner burning but does leave a crud ring which need attention. IMO they both work well so take your pick. I've kill deer with both.

I agree. It's really isn't that big of a deal either way. I have shot some really good goups with both. I killed my first deer with a muzzleloader using 90gr Pyrodex RS. I have two main problems with Pyrodex...it's more corrosive than Triple Se7en and when you clean your muzzleloader and re-wet the Pyrodex residue in the bore, the whole house smells like rotten eggs! If it were not for those two issues, I'd probably still be using Pyrodex. There's a little bit of velocity difference between Pyrodex and Triple Se7en but truthfully it's probably not enough to worry about.

Power wise I do not think it will be an issue as I can up the charge of Pyrodex RS to match the way the bullet performs. 100 grains of any powder, and you have a good strong hunting load. Some of my rifles I shoot 120 grains of loose powder. Why? because the rifle shot best with it, not because I wanted to shoot magnum loads.

Pyrodex RS is cheaper to buy. It is easy to find. And it swabs a little easier then Triple Se7en in some rifles. Also Pyrodex RS is a very consistent powder to shoot. I get real good accuracy with it from many of my rifles.

Also it cleans just as easy as any other powder. All the rifles have to be cleaned if you shoot the rifle, so I do not see that as a problem as well. Now big6X6 does have a point about the smell, but you know what.. who cares. :D A little OUST air freshener afterward and you never know you cleaned the rifle with the stuff.

Of course most the time I shoot black powder. I like the smoke, stink, and mess I guess. Plus the price.

Thanks for reply

thank you for all your replys , will try both with barnes bullets and see what happens. again thanks all
hunterdeeriowa

Cayuga is right on the money, like he is most of the time. I'm new to ML also and after reading alot of these post, I set out to the range with both Proydex loose and 37 loose. What I discovered is what Cayuga said. I really wanted to like the 37 more than the Proydex, but I think my groups were all tighter with Proydex. Personally the rotten egg smell, just reminds me that "I shot my ML today."

Back