Tacky Lyman Great Plains Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
I redid this one 2 years ago for a friend and the other night we hung out and spent many hours drilling and tapping the powder horn tacks into place. The palm area was fit to his hand perfectly so he can get a good solid hold of the rifle. Just a single line of tacks for the forestock.
55840410.jpg

55719510.jpg

55552010.jpg

55551910.jpg

55932310.jpg

A clue that several of the gun photographers that have taken photos for the National Magazines for us and others told us to do is pretty simple.  Take your pictures outside at a half hour before dust (no shadows), place article on a pale color blanket or sheet will give you natural light and no background shadow.  :ttups:

Maybe I'm a bit "tacky", but I've always liked the looks of a tastefully tacked rifle.

Nice Rifle,
I don't fancy tacking them, but looks like a nice job.

Small tacks like those can look great when done with that kind of skill.  :thumbs up:

I like a tastefully done tack job. Two questions. 1. What is the finish on that gun? the stock is very nice. 2. What tacks did you use for this job and where does one get them? Thanks.

dsc_0023.jpg

dsc_0024.jpg
I I used solid brass escutcheon pins with mine. Got them at ACE Hardware.

N.Y. Yankee said:
I like a tastefully done tack job. Two questions. 1. What is the finish on that gun? the stock is very nice. 2. What tacks did you use for this job and where does one get them? Thanks.
www.crazycrow.com They are the powder horn nails. Trim them to a much shorter length, and predrill each hole as you go.

I believe I used laurel mountain forge walnut stain, a couple coats, then many many hand rubbed coats of truoil.

Ah yes, good old true oil. That explains why it looks so good you must be skilled at applying it! Do you use a drill the same size as the tack and glue them in, I'm assuming?

Slightly smaller. I have used same sized drill bit, but I always make sure to add a little glue to make sure they stay in place.

I've refinished dozens of stocks, so yes, the technique is burned into memory lol.

Must be an old guy...considering the rear sight moved forward that much. I think this from experience as I had to do that one most of mine at one time. Since then, I've had my eyes worked on and can see sights from the normal distance.

someone cut that rear dovetail out i think possibly for a peep sight of some sort. The sight is now mounted in the original dovetail.

I like it, Nice work Jon!! :ttups:

I would like to have a Stock done like that, BUT My problem is patience, Something i lack  :bounce:  :lol!:

Back