Target of the day!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpsman

Reaction score
Here's my MO! I load the rifle at end of the day after cleaning and run one damp patch of olive oil down to the ball. Next day I run one dry patch down the bore....afix a cap and shoot. The two shots at the top of this target were fired with 100 grs. KIK 2F from 60 yards using a 6 o/clock hold. The next five shots were made with what I call a target load of 90 grs., same powder using the same hold. I cut this target out of the 100 yard smallbore target used for NRA .22 competition as I have a pile of them and put on a cardboard holder with a staple at top and bottom. First shot drove the staple out at the top but the target stayed afixed to the cardboard. Ten ring measures 2" diameter! I think I've found my load! :cheers: :cheers:

25389420585_fa52ffb42d_c.jpg
Untitled by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

That is some good shooting, particularly if you actually were trying to use your rifle to draw Mickey Mouse in the bulls eye! :D 

That rifle must be a big bore to make those holes.

Well done!
Ron

Thanks Ron! It's a .54 caliber GRRW Hawken with 34" barrel and Ron Long lock. It's a real pleasure shooting this dude. I'm basically what I call a 'home shooter' because there's no competition here in Northeast Louisiana and betwixt attending 4 grandsons baseball and football games....there isn't much time for traveling. I've been involved in BPCR for last twenty years (no comp...just shooting here on my own range) and it's a real pleasure to get back into the ML world again! These rifles have always amazed me for what they'll do if someone will spend time enough to find what they like. Always wanted one of the good slug rifles but I'm satisfied with this one! I'm looking forward to eating some backstrap off a nice buck from Kansas this September!

Thanks for the reply!

Here's the rifle:

24800342745_45aea05f31_c.jpg
Hawken Rifle by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

It's taken some work with the file to get the front sight cut down but I think I'm gonna leave it where it is now!

That GRRW makes shooting easy! Excellent day on the range indeed!

Nice shooting and nice rifle. I shot BPCR for 10 years local competition nothing big time. I enjoyed it but takes to much time to be an eggspurt at it. Still have the rifle it has a home in the safe. I wanted to sell it but wife says no no and hell no. Was into the bullet casting for a friend and myself and shooting of it. Now I like the simple things like round balls and having fun. Al

BigAl52 said:
Nice shooting and nice rifle. I shot BPCR for 10 years local competition nothing big time. I enjoyed it but takes to much time to be an eggspurt at it. Still have the rifle it has a home in the safe. I wanted to sell it but wife says no no and hell no. Was into the bullet casting for a friend and myself and shooting of it. Now I like the simple things like round balls and having fun. Al
I've been the entire gambit! Probably got 20 moulds! Wore me out casting, patching, etc.!

Way more simple with ML!! :cheers:

Man, that would wear me out too! I got rid of 4 of my molds recently LOL. Keep it simple!

falcon said:
Great shooting.  Beautiful rifle too.
A friend from East Texas put me onto the availability of this rifle and I wouldn't have known about it had he not called and told me about it! The bore of this rifle is smooth as glass and fit and finish...EXCELLENT! I'M PROUD to own it! :cheers: :cheers:

Been looking for one myself and haven't found one. I've seen 2 now with the locks on the wrong side but haven't seen any with the locks on the right side. Thought about a Jonathan Browning rifle but then read a couple of threads by a guy named Sharpsman and he didn't care for them at all. So I backed off of that idea. Al

I had one years ago and I couldn't make that particular rifle hit due east!! :(

Latest posts

Back