tasco - did I screw up?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphaburnt

Reaction score
I just ordered a Tasco World Class 3-9x40 Matte finish from Midway USA. I have a World Class- hopefully same scope- in gloss I put on my .270 in 1990 and have not had a problem. A lot of things Ive read lately have been negative about Tasco quality. For $48 I gave it a try, has everybody had problems with Tasco's in general or a particular line.

I'm not asking for product bashing, just personal experience good or bad. Thanks

I have that same scope on my Knight 50 Disc Ext., works fine. The scope came off of a .300 Win. Mag. , and worked fine on it for a couple of years. Hope you have good luck with yours.

My family and I always had good luck with the Tasco World Class scopes. I have one on a .280 that I occasionally use, as well as a .35 and it was always accurate, dependable, and had good clarity for the $$$.

Over time, however, I've obtained a couple of Weatherby's (.30-06 and .270 mag) and put Leupold's on those...man did I become spoiled! A few years ago, we got into muzzleloading and bought about 4 Traditions to get started with. At that time, there were some great deals on the Tasco World Class, so Dad purchased several of those for everyone to put on the new ml's. Ouch! We spent a whole day chasin' those things all over a target at 50 yards and never could get them in. After talking with someone Dad new in PA that was very knowledgeable in this area, he said we had scope problems and that the Tasco couldn't handle the "shock" of a ml.

Of course, we said they work fine on high-powered rifles, so what's the difference? But this fellow claimed that there is a big difference between "shock" and "recoil" and that some lower end scopes oftentimes can't handle the shock emitted by a ml. So, we ruined 3 Tasco's. Dad then bought 3 Bushnell ml scopes and we were sighted in at 100 yards in about 4 shots, so I guess there's something to that?!?!

Between talking to others and reading this message board, it has become my opinion that you don't necessarily HAVE to have a ml scope, but you should at least put a good, quality scope on it. The Bushnell ml scopes have served us well over the past 3 seasons or so. I am also happy to report that I jumped into the Savage 10ml2 game this season and topped it with a Zeiss 3x9x40mm Conquest :D . The way I see it, there are 4 variables from pulling that trigger to game droppage: the gun, the scope, the load, and the shooter. I went with the Savage and took Randy's advice with the AA5744, ordered some sabots from Del, grabbed the Hornady 250 gr. XTP's from Midway, and some Winchester 209 primers. The final decision to put the Zeiss on top, in my opinion, pretty well solidified 3 of the variables...I now only have myself to blame :!:

You may get along fine with the Tasco, but I would never again waste my time. We always got along fine with the Tasco's, that is until it came to the ml's. But, that's just my two cents...

Back in the old day's (before Gander,Cabela's) our local gun shop sold more Tasco world class 1 3/4x5 than all the rest combined (mostly for shotguns) that was when they were made in Japan all at once they went to China and He told me most of them had to be sent back He stopped carring them. I had one on a 7mm and shot several elk with it I gave it to my brother and he still uses it on a 30.06 pump.
I would not buy one now, however I can afford better scopes now than I could then. Try it who knows maybe they improved.
Ken

Too late. As soon as I can wrangle up some decent rings and bases Ill let you know. I hope they sent me a good one.

Latest posts

Back