TC hawken cracked stock side/lock screw area

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bought a used TC hawken and it had the “hawken crack” (trademark pending), in front of the screw that secures the lock mechanism. I know this is a very common issue. I have tried working glue into the crack and then wrapping surgical tubing around it to squeeze it all together. This failed after the first couple shots. Then I tried drilling a small hole and inserted a small dowel and repeated above gluing process. It held better but is still starting to fail again. Is there something else I can do to fix this or am I just “plugging the leaking dam with my finger”? Should I call it quits for repairs and find a “new” stock? I saw a older post where Lewis made a comment about wishing Boyds made a laminate stock. How great would that be? Also where is a good source to find a replacement? I’ve been mainly using eBay but right now that market is pretty bare. Anyone have one sitting around they want to part ways with?

I had one crack too. I used Acura glass gel to glue it. It failed. I used the gel again and drilled and pinned it. Again it failed.

It really is a Shame when these Stocks Crack, they are nearly impossible to Fix & Hold, Especially with Bullets that Recoil a Bit

Look up Michiganmuzzy here, he is having a Laminate Stock Made by Pecatonica long Rifle Co. Several of us are ANXIOUSLY awaiting him to get it, and do a Review on it

The only advice i can give, is to look on Ebay, Gunbroker, and Through these Gun Forums in hopes of Finding another Good Stock. Personally, i would buy a COMPLETE Stock, Their are 3 Different Stock Variations, if you don’t inow EXACTLY which Variation you have? And you get a Different Variation? Your Parts will not Fit right, it can become a Nightmare

Read this thread that i started way back, this will show you what i am Talking about
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/thompson-center-hawken-renegade-variances.35407/

Bought a used TC hawken and it had the “hawken crack” (trademark pending), in front of the screw that secures the lock mechanism. I know this is a very common issue. I have tried working glue into the crack and then wrapping surgical tubing around it to squeeze it all together. This failed after the first couple shots. Then I tried drilling a small hole and inserted a small dowel and repeated above gluing process. It held better but is still starting to fail again. Is there something else I can do to fix this or am I just “plugging the leaking dam with my finger”? Should I call it quits for repairs and find a “new” stock? I saw a older post where Lewis made a comment about wishing Boyds made a laminate stock. How great would that be? Also where is a good source to find a replacement? I’ve been mainly using eBay but right now that market is pretty bare. Anyone have one sitting around they want to part ways with?

Welcome to the Forum By the way :lewis:

It really is a Shame when these Stocks Crack, they are nearly impossible to Fix & Hold, Especially with Bullets that Recoil a Bit

Look up Michiganmuzzy here, he is having a Laminate Stock Made by Pecatonica long Rifle Co. Several of us are ANXIOUSLY awaiting him to get it, and do a Review on it

The only advice i can give, is to look on Ebay, Gunbroker, and Through these Gun Forums in hopes of Finding another Good Stock. Personally, i would buy a COMPLETE Stock, Their are 3 Different Stock Variations, if you don’t inow EXACTLY which Variation you have? And you get a Different Variation? Your Parts will not Fit right, it can become a Nightmare

Read this thread that i started way back, this will show you what i am Talking about
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/thompson-center-hawken-renegade-variances.35407/

I asked Pecatonica long Rifle Co if they could do a laminated stock. They didn't have any of that wood. I would love to have one or two of them made.

i have a TC hawken that came with a laminate stock. i believe that I got it from gun broker years ago. i have never seen another one.

Welcome to the Forum By the way :lewis:
Thanks for the response. I thought that might be the answers I would get. By the way I subscribed to both you Idaho feller’s YouTube channels and have watched most of your videos. Some I have rewatched several times. Your and Ron’s channel has been the biggest reasons I got back into muzzleloading. I just happened to join this forum website and noticed you and Ron were both active members. Keep up the good work on YouTube to both of you Idaho guys. Also have either of you guys made a video of your between shot “rituals” (wiping, cleaning, cap snapping etc)? You may have and maybe I missed it. I have found my own techniques but mostly through trial and error. One thing I’ve noticed is that after I run a patch through my barrel, if I don’t snap a cap or two I will almost always have a hangfire of some sort. Anyone else experience that?

Thanks for the response. I thought that might be the answers I would get. By the way I subscribed to both you Idaho feller’s YouTube channels and have watched most of your videos. Some I have rewatched several times. Your and Ron’s channel has been the biggest reasons I got back into muzzleloading. I just happened to join this forum website and noticed you and Ron were both active members. Keep up the good work on YouTube to both of you Idaho guys. Also have either of you guys made a video of your between shot “rituals” (wiping, cleaning, cap snapping etc)? You may have and maybe I missed it. I have found my own techniques but mostly through trial and error. One thing I’ve noticed is that after I run a patch through my barrel, if I don’t snap a cap or two I will almost always have a hangfire of some sort. Anyone else experience that?

Thank you for the Nice words my Friend :lewis:

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about, and I have spoke of it MANY times on here. In short, it’s the nature of the Beast, I deal with the same thing. The problem is worse the Smaller the Bore, and Faster the Twist Rate (They Choke themselves out) I shoot Swiss real Blackpowder exclusively in my Guns.
After i swab my Bores, I pop 1 Cap off Straight through, with barrel pointed at the Ground, you can see the Crud trickle out on the Ground. Then i go about my Reloading. As long as i follow this Regimen, I NEVER have Problems. But if I forget to pop that 1 Cap off Straight through after i Swab, I will get a Hangfire almost Gauranteed

I've seen references from a former TC employee who said there were 8 made as prototypes. I have to say, that short of a custom shop rifle, my lam. is custom level fit of wood to metal. Miles above typical factory level. And the barrel is a "M" stamp. Very accurate too!
I spoke to a fellow who used to work for Fox Ridge ( TC's custom shop) and he'd only ever seen 1 and that was in the " Altar" . TC's museum(?).
I've also seen reference to 2000 made for one of the larger wholesalers. But no confirmation those were ever actually made.Either way, the factory laminates are the rarest TC Hawkens out there..
Autumn is a head turner, that's for sure. Causes a lot of headscratching too! I was once offered a ridiculous return on investment. Couldn't do it though. She's something of a unicorn...

Yes thank you for the kind words.
I had a computer issue and have lost my movie editor. I'm struggling to find a replacement.
On a video about field cleaning this is it.

I had one crack too. I used Acura glass gel to glue it. It failed. I used the gel again and drilled and pinned it. Again it failed.
Is accuea glass the same as epoxy? Maybe give some epoxy a try. The area around the crack is likely soaked with oil or polish of some kind. The glue cant get a bond. Hate to do it but maybe have to remove a little wood before trying the epoxy. Mix sawdust from a similar type wood in the epoxy if you need to thicken it.

Watched my dad fix a husqvarna mauser with a cracked stock. (Horse accident) He toke a dremel tool to the inside of the stock. Crossways of the crack, after he milled the wood deep enough, he laid a drywall screw (head cut off) In the slot. Then used Acura glass from Brownells to glue the screw into the stock. Never did see how well it had worked. Hope this helps as I‘ve never seen a TC with a cracked stock. Wasn’t even aware they had this problem!

Is accuea glass the same as epoxy? Maybe give some epoxy a try. The area around the crack is likely soaked with oil or polish of some kind. The glue cant get a bond. Hate to do it but maybe have to remove a little wood before trying the epoxy. Mix sawdust from a similar type wood in the epoxy if you need to thicken it.

Accura glass is gunsmith two part epoxy. The spot that was cracked on mine was dry no oil. I did remove some wood on the last effort and used brass pins.
The problem with fixing these is how much recoil the gun has. A 45 using PRB's and 50 grains of powder will most likely never reopen a crack.
A 50 using 460 gr bullets with 80 gr of FFFG powder has a lot more recoil.
That stock is gone. I threw it on a pile of branches and burned it. Cracked stocks are of no value.

So my latest repair has actually been holding with better results. I drilled a hole through the cracked portion of the stock, the exact size of a bamboo skewer I had laying around and then glued a cut length of the skewer into the hole. In asia they use bamboo for scaffolding, the stuff is pretty strong. So now the stress would have to pull the skewer lengthwise to pull the crack apart again. And also worked glue down into the crack as well. I’ve shot the gun probably 20 times and the only issue is a couple small cracks formed around where the skewer is installed. I’ll try to show what I’m talking about in a picture

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back