TC hawken shooting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exarcher

NRA and NAA Life member
Supporting member
Reaction score
just sighting in my tc hawken 50 cal for the first time.. I was shooting 495 grain no excuse bullets sized .502 (ordered for my rem ml) using schuetzen under a 54 cal wonder wad.. the 3 shots low left were after adjusting my peep incorrectly. (1st 2 under bull at 6 in black) . there are 3 in the bullseye (last 2 at 11o'clock) 9 shots total. (50 yds) I was swabbing between shots with (spit) 1 patch.. & loading feel never changed, & i'm sure i could keep on shooting.. I will throw out there that 70grains of schuetzen weighed shows in volumetric measure as 60 grains. Also shooting a cci 209 primer in the mag spark nipple device. I feel very good about ml season,,, now just have to wait 3 more weeks until season opens here in Tennessee. (the rifle is not loaded in this photo,, i just noticed it was cocked to remove the primer)
50hawkenshots.JPG

Last edited:
Sweet stock! Can someone provide a link to where to buy one?
this one came on it,, i had problems with a cracked 54 cal & when i saw this one for sale i had to have it.. I heard that TC didn't make a huge number of these rifles with this stock.. If someone makes one, I would like to know myself.. i would buy one to put on the 54 cal renegade i have..

Received some no excuse 420 grain .500 sized 50cal bullets (3 grease grooves instead of 4) a couple days ago,, & shot them today, it took less than a week to get them by the way... i increased the powder 5 grains schuetzen to 75 weighed. It only took 3 shots & they still have less (perceived) recoil.. I can shoot just fine getting the crap knocked out of me,, but i just don't like it.. guess i'm a sissy?? The target is on the top left. 12 o'clock high walked it down & 3rd one excellent! 50 yds.. Man,, its so much more fun to shoot when they hit as good as you aim!! those 4 low right were from my first test & sight in session.. one of these days i'll chrongraph em... maybe..4201st.JPG

I have a factory laminated stock too. They are unicorns as a factory job. I saw a transcript from an inquiry to T/C , and the lady said there were 8 complete factory laminated Hawkens made. It's rumored that there were other stocks made and sold separately after T/C decided not to make them a production item. I can find no supporting information regarding this.
They definitely turn heads! Tough as nails too. Love mine and will not part with her for any consideration.
You are most fortunate to have that Hawken!

I have a factory laminated stock too. They are unicorns as a factory job. I saw a transcript from an inquiry to T/C , and the lady said there were 8 complete factory laminated Hawkens made. It's rumored that there were other stocks made and sold separately after T/C decided not to make them a production item. I can find no supporting information regarding this.
They definitely turn heads! Tough as nails too. Love mine and will not part with her for any consideration.
You are most fortunate to have that Hawken!
i read that too, ,but i also read on another site that they made quite a few one year.. who knows for sure,,, i bet it was more than 8... i just saw another one on gbroker lately.. they seem to get gone quick though... I'm very happy with this one.. i had one in the 70's (plain stock) but never did have it shoot decent.. BP info was hard to come by then.. (learned much on this site!!).. spit patch between shots helped more than anything!! mine has a good dent on the cheek piece but no big deal... It sure is much more fun to shoot now that my shots go where expected!!

I saw a number of 2000 once. Apparently a run for some chain sporting goods outfit. No confirmation it ever happened though. I suspect any remaining stocks were sold through Fox Ridge.
Even if the 2000 number is correct, the are the rarest T/Cs except for the Custom Shop.
As far as value goes, I was once offered a RIDICULOUS return on investment ( I paid $250 for mine 3 years ago come December), but they are 1: a TC Hawken and 2: traditionalist muzzleloaders generally show disdain for laminates.
Their value then, seems more towards the practical.
In that regard, they are superb.

Latest posts

Back