TC Hawken with a BAD barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My new hunting buddy (this past season) asked me to store his TC Hawken in the off season after our last hunt. No problem, I have the space in my safe. Before putting it away, I had a suspicion that he was not the best at maintenance so I ran a patch down soaked with Cabelas Black Powder solvent. It came out a dark, dark brown. Over twenty patches later with more BP solvent, CLP, and even near boiling water, the patches are still coming out brown, improved but still pretty bad.

I shoot a stainless inline with BH209 so I'm a starting from scratch here. A search recommends kroil soaking and JB's. I have the JB but I don't want to drop $$ for a can of Kroils for a gun that's not even mine. I do have a penetrant product called "Blaster". Would this work?

http://www.blastercorporation.com/PB_Blaster.html

I know, I need to give my friend a lot of grief for neglecting this gun.

The JB Bore Paste will remove a lot of the surface stuff. It will not help if the rifle is pitted. And you might never get a "clean" patch. I have one rifle that always puts a gray tinge on the patch. But since there is no brown, I figure what the heck. It too was abused.

After using JB Bore paste I would try that Barrel Blaster too. Never used it but read a lot of good reviews on it.

The main thing is after you get that barrel as clean as you can, be sure and saturate a patch with a good gun oil, and swab that bore heavy. The paste takes the barrel back to metal, so you need to treat it or it will rust.

STeve, take that gun out and shoot it about a dozen times. . .then come back and clean it. . .

cayuga, hanks. I'll give the JB a shot.

cayuga said:
After using JB Bore paste I would try that Barrel Blaster too. Never used it but read a lot of good reviews on it.

Actually, it's not Barrel Blaster, it's just called "Blaster" and it's not a gun care product, but a general use penetrant.

PB_Penetrating_Catalyst.jpg

I got it to free up some bolts a while back and figured it would work similar to Kroils.

Alot of sound advice here. I just got done rescuing a knight LK-93 barrel...similar issues with pitting and rusty patches. Decided to try my hand at electrolysis. It worked out well once I went with 4 electrodes instead of the 2 I started with. Then went with Cayuga's suggestions. Barrel still has pitting, but shoots good...and, I am now in control of further deterioration. Here is a link if interested:

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tools/Electrolysis.htm

Latest posts

Back