TC New Englander Mod

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis1

Reaction score
Here is a Mod i did to my New Englander so i could Remove my Lock for Routine Maintenance/Cleaning, The New Englander has what i call a “Chicken Beak” That hangs down and Covers the Lock, making Lock removal impossible without First Removing this “Beak” And of all things This “Beak” is Built Right in to the Tang??? With a Tang Mounted Peep sight like i have on my New Englander the last thing you want to do is Remove the Tang. This “Beak” Serves NO purpose other than Looks, in my opinion this was a Poor Design on TC’s Part. I’ll take Function over looks ANY Day! I don’t feel the “Chicken Beak” Looked Good to begin with

My Tang Peep (Lyman 57SML)
DKmgpWdl.jpg

Here is the “Chicken Beak” i am talking about that Covers the Lock.
63VY7h7l.jpg

I cut the “Chicken Beak” off Flush, Touched up with Cold Blue and Oiled it. Now i can EASILY Access my Lock, WITHOUT having to Remove the Tang
HcFbYdEl.jpg

c7QgIpXl.jpg

I ended up Replacing this Original Hammer with an Old “High Spur” From a Renegade, This is the Original Low Spur (New Version) Hammer that Came on this Rifle New. It worked fine after Bending the Spur to the Right to Clear my Peep Bridge, But i like the Old “High Spur” Much Better
SYUaLDNl.jpg

The TC Greyhawk, and their TreeHawk are both identical to the New Englander in Function/Build, The Greyhawk is Stainless, the Treehawk is Camo, The New Englander is Classic Walnut

falcon said:
Some New Englanders wear classic Tupperware.   i have a couple.  
I forgot to mention that Falcon. I had 1 of them as well, They also came in 2 Barrel lengths, 24 and 26 i believe, they might be considered 24.5” and 26.5”? The 1 have in the photos above now has the Shorter Barrel, It started out life with the Longer Barrel, The Original longer barrel had a QLA Muzzle which I REALLY Deep Down Despise! I found a New unfired Tupperware Model .54 Cal New Englander with the Shorter Barrel and NO QLA, I got a really good deal on it. I Swapped the Barrels out, Then Got rid of the Tupperware QLA Gun

Back