TC PA Hunter L&R Lock Fit

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggy

Reaction score
Today I picked-up my TC PA Hunter from Cabin Creek Muzzleloading in Hellam, PA. I had it there having my new L&R lock fitted, tuned, browned etc. Only one word can describe the job Brad Emig (Gunsmith/Owner) did.....WOW!!!!

Brad had to remove considerable wood to inlet the lock including external clearance work for cock to clear. Brad also did custom stone grinding to obtain a crisp trigger pull, heat harden springs etc. He said that virtually all factory locks should be professionally tuned etc & after mine I totally agree! Comparing my new L&R lock "out of the box" to after Brad worked on it is like night & day!!!!!

I have owned a number of flintlocks but I must say that after Brads tuning, heat hardening springs etc of my new L&R Lock the speed & smoothness of mine FAR exceeds any ever owned. He did say that the L&R guts were quality & should last a lifetime. What amazed me was comparison of the L&R "Out of the Box" from Factory to after Lock work was done by Brad. I dry fired lock a few times to test trigger pull, speed etc. when recd from L&R & it now seems like I now have a totally different & much improved lock. Factory wasnt bad but after tuning etc no comparison.

All internal/external inletting work was stained & sealed and look as never disturbed.

Man, a fast twistin flinter like this should almost be outlawed....almost that is!! :grin:

I can first hand highly recommend Cabin Creek Muzzleloading! It really gives me pleasure to see such professional craftsmanship surviving in a "Fast Pace Cookie Cutter World" as we live in. Like Brad says on his web: Each order is considered an individual work of art.

http://www.cabincreek.net/contact_me.html

Pic of my TC PA Hunter w/New L&R Lock:

DSCF0262.jpg

That really does look nice.. do they sell custom rifles and such or just do repair work?

I just checked his site.. some beautiful rifles there.

Cayuga, Brad is a really nice guy that will take as much time as needed to answer any questions etc. He had some of his rifles displayed & they were really something to see! Some of his Semi-Custom Kit packages are very attractive being well under a Grand. I bot the Book The Art of Building The Pennsylvania Longrifle" from Brad to do some reading regarding this great American craft. The 8" x 10" book is approx. 200 pages & covers alot of basic to more advanced info including many diagrams etc on building/finishing a flintlock etc.

I was shooting my flintlock the other day while it was lightly snowing. I had a heck of a time. I think a dull flint might have been part of the cause, but this had to be the slowest I ever had my rifle ignite. Normally the Lyman Rifle has a real fast ignition but that day it was a real tick..boom.

Then I had it loaded and did not even think I was going to get the thing to go off. Granted the rifle shot great, but I was glad I was not hunting with it that day.

I might get a few of those agates. Even though I like the black english flints, the agates I had really worked well on my Trade Rifle. I want to try some more of them.

It will be interesting I bet when you shoot that PA Hunter. I think I will be sweet...

cayuga, if you have someone around maybe have the lock tuned etc.. I couldnt believe the difference in speed etc. after having the new L&R "out of factory box" tuned. He heat hardened springs & did some grinding of tumbler etc It throws a tremendous spark plus much smoother & faster. A production lock apparently can be greatly improved per my experience with the L&R which is supposed to be a pretty good lock.

I agree.. any factory line produced rifle, no matter how good of quality, is just one that is put together and functions good but not tuned like you say. I had a chance to shoot a friends custom made flintlock some person in Mississippi made for him. What a dream to shoot and it went off like a cap lock and it did not seem to eat the flints up as fast as my rock locks.

cayuga, i'd like to know where in MS that rifle came from? i live in MS . . .

Next time I see him I will get you a name and address.

Back