TC Renegade. A fine, FINE rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While I'm having a LOT of fun with my ( laminated) Hawken, I must admit my Renegade is my favorite side lock.
No frills, all business, accurate, reliable ( mine is a flint lock!), a REALLY superb un set trigger and handles quite nicely too. She has the original Patridge sights. Love those! Nice chunk of walnut too.
I have a spare percussion lock that fits the stock perfectly, so I'm looking to add a barrel.
The original barrel, an M stamp, has a few bore issues. The original owner... Anywayyy. I'm looking to get Mr Hoyt to either rebore to .54, or reline back to .50 if there are liners for the twist I want.
So. I guess this is the confession of a devout inliner. Sidelocks, especially Renegade's (!), are quite nice too.

The reason I'm looking at a Renegade, as opposed to a used, hand built flintlock is multifold.

First, is the lesser overall cost.

Second is the undeniable fact that I have had lousy eyesight ALL my life, and at 65 the VA is not yet willing to operate on my eyes for cataracts. Thus, my eyesight is such that I MUST install a scope on the muzzleloader. Something I am not willing to do on a bespoke rifle, even if I could afford one.

The ONLY way I could ethically hunt ANYTHING is with a scoped firearm, and modern weapons, other than for self defense, don't do much for me.

Third, is that the issues with scoping a rifle with flintlock ignition are much greater than one with percussion ignition. A flintlock is much more likely to foul, and possibly damage, an expensive scope, than a percussion rifle is.

I won't put a scope on my Renegades, just not pleasing to me. I wear glasses so require a scope as well for ethical hunting. I have several inline muzzleloaders scoped for that reason.

The “WORK HORSES” I have a few Renegades ;) Who would have thought huh? :D

Here is one of my Brand New Unfired Ones, i have 2 of these like this, this .54, and a .50 Cal, Also a Brand New Unfired TC Hawken. All 3 are the OLD High Spur Hammer Versions, 3 Digi Serial #s
CrD9XlM.jpg

Q8V5GEL.jpg

EJapY5p.jpg

There is a TC Renegade at a gun shop that I dont think was fired. They want $ 395 for it. I might get it , just to have it. I doubt I will loose a penny if I want to sell it some day.

Could not agree more with the title of this thread if I tried.
The Renegade is a blend of simplicity, beauty and accuracy.
It was the only ML I carried in the woods this past year. I had forgotten how much of a pleasure it was to hunt with.

I will go get it if it is still there. Its been there for almost a year already. I'm going past there in a month or so.

50 cal. It is a 400 miles round trip so I dont want to go that far, however, I could be mistaken, but I never heard of a limit, or law against driving 400 miles to buy a gun. Just might do it.

50 cal. It is a 400 miles round trip so I dont want to go that far, however, I could be mistaken, but I never heard of a limit, or law against driving 400 miles to buy a gun. Just might do it.
Can’t you buy online? Save gas and time?

I have 3, my first a 54 main gun, had Bob Hoyt bore out a badly pitted 56 sb I bought cheap to a 1/66 62 cal rifle I also have 50 cal single trigger

Buttonbuck

How is the recoil on the .62 rebore by Bobby Hoyt? Did you keep the barrel the stock 26 inches long? And, what is it's weight?

I'm pretty sure that I've scrapped the idea of a fast twist .40 caliber Renegade. Instead I think I'll stick with what I know best, the patched ball.

I once owned a half-a&$#d copy of a fullstock flintlock Hawken in .62 caliber. I loved that rifle for as long as I owned it.

I think what I'm going to end up with is a .58 to .62 caliber barrel using one of Rice's 1" CNC machined percussion T/C breech plugs.

Thanks,
Bruce

I could buy it and have it shipped, but I want to see it one more time. I know a lot more about Sidelocks now than when I saw it last. You start to see what is good and what is not when you gain experience.

eek, that is a true statement. My 50 cal. round balls dont kick much. I shoot 50 grains though. I sure like shooting that gun, so much so that I want another , just cause.

Back