TC Thunderhawk Barrel Removal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnum

Reaction score
I just acquired a TC Thunderhawk .50 cal.slamfire. The barrel is so so and I figured using it as a donor action for a smaller caliber. Has anyone ever removed one of these barrels, or are they removable?
Thanks Magnum

If your referring to removing the barrel from the stock, sure you can! I had a FireHawk, not a ThunderHawk, the barrel screw should be under the stock just forward of the trigger guard. There maybe another barrel screw at the rear of the trigger guard holding the guard too. I can't recall if mine had two or not. Take out the ramrod before removing the barrel as well.

I guess I meant the barrel from the action Toytruck. Sorry.
I see this has a Timney trigger on it. Must be an early rifle.

Magnum said:
Oh, OK I have no idea on that one. I would say call T/C, someone there might know if its possible or not...

Yea toytruck I'm still waiting for a response from TC/S&W.

FYI, I heard back from TC and the Thunder Hawk barrel and action are one piece. They cannot be taken apart.
I assume the later Fire Hawk would be the same.

You can find Fire Hawk's on Gunbroker and the barrels seemed to come off the action, there were rifle and I think a Shotgun barrel. Not long ago there was one with like 3 barrels, one was a .32cal.

Magnum said:

Does it say Timney on the trigger. For some reason i thought they used Bold triggers. I cant remember what mine was...not sure i ever looked that closely at it.

ShawnT, I thought I saw in the past barrels for these but wasn't sure. I'm just relaying what S&W told me today. Might be worth a try to break it free.
GM, it has Timney stamped on it. I never knew they used them.

Magnum said:
ShawnT, I thought I saw in the past barrels for these but wasn't sure. I'm just relaying what S&W told me today. Might be worth a try to break it free.
GM, it has Timney stamped on it. I never knew they used them.
I'm not sure that the FireHawk Barrels were threaded. I have only seen pictures of it. If they say it will not come off, well then maybe it don't. Some have done caliber conversions by cutting off the barrel, drilling it out and threading that part of the barrel, then turning down and threading the new barrel to fit. I was doing some searching but never found anything indicating that the ThunderHawk will come apart. Did see a picture of one with a Bold Trigger.
Below is a link I found on a FireHawk but you can't see the end of the second barrel. I can't seem to find one of just the barrels I saw to confirm what they looked like.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/478493/al ... l--32-cal-

Shawn, certainly looks like the barrel is threaded to me in the link.
I did think of cutting the barrel but I don't know of anyone that would take on a job like that. Might be cost prohibited.

ShawnT said:
You can find Fire Hawk's on Gunbroker and the barrels seemed to come off the action, there were rifle and I think a Shotgun barrel. Not long ago there was one with like 3 barrels, one was a .32cal.
Shawn are you thinking of the System 1? Those barrels came off the action. I had a 50 cal.and a .12 ga. sold it. The FireHawks came in .50, .54 (Mine was .54) .58 and .32 caliber. I don't recall a .12 ga. FireHawk...My .54 was one solid action/barrel, it didn't come apart as the breech plug was sealed and part of the barrel. You removed the nipple to clean it.

toytruck said:
ShawnT said:
Shawn are you thinking of the System 1? Those barrels came off the action. I had a 50 cal.and a .12 ga. sold it. The FireHawks came in .50, .54 (Mine was .54) .58 and .32 caliber. I don't recall a .12 ga. FireHawk...My .54 was one solid action/barrel, it didn't come apart as the breech plug was sealed and part of the barrel. You removed the nipple to clean it.
No, but never had a firehawk or system 1. I saw the firehawk posted and the end of the barrel did not look like it had the action on it just showed the nipple in the BP. The main reason I was looking at it was the 32cal barrel. Did you look at the one in that link above? Wish i could find a pic of the one I saw not long ago. I suppose it could have been mis-marked as a firehawk. :think:

I can't really do anymore searches at the moment. We lost power and looks like it will be a while. Checked in from my work phone. :roll:

toytruck said:
ShawnT said:
The More I think about it you might be right. But I would have sworn it was a FireHawk I saw. Do you know if the System 1 had a .32 barrel?

toytruck said:
Yes the system 1 did have a .32 barrel as well as the FireHawk
That was probably it then unless one was mis-Marked. Like that don't happen on GB! :roll:

There is a rifle on there now marked "TK2000 50cal". :d'oh!: Guess the guy don't know the difference between a shotgun and a rifle or can't read the marking on the barrel. :roll:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/642909626 This is the System 1 .32 barrel, it has a removable breechplug and was able to be bolted into the System 1 receiver. I didn't like the fact that when you changed the barrel to another caliber the scope had to be realigned for it. They also had a QLA...

Like said the FireHawk system included the entire barrel and receiver as one piece. Wish now I had kept my .54 FireHawk without the QLA, but I got suckered into the hype of the QLA and actually paid for another barrel with it on! :(

toytruck said:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/642909626 This is the System 1 .32 barrel, it has a removable breechplug and was able to be bolted into the System 1 receiver. I didn't like the fact that when you changed the barrel to another caliber the scope had to be realigned for it. They also had a QLA...

Like said the FireHawk system included the entire barrel and receiver as one piece. Wish now I had kept my .54 FireHawk without the QLA, but I got suckered into the hype of the QLA and actually paid for another barrel with it on! :(

Never saw that one but it does look like it. So I Probably got them mixed up. Last I heard my cousin back in Ohio had a Firehawk he wanted to sell but I forgot whether it was a 50 or 54, don't know if it has a QLA or not, have not seen it. If I see him over the next couple weeks while I am back home I will ask. I was not interested since it was not the .32cal.

Yes, I looked that. It appears to. It appears to be a Systems1.

Back