Testing Montana X in Idaho

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Headed to the farm this afternoon - it was cold but needed to get out of the house - sides any time you can shoot it is a good day.

The purpose of the trip was another test of the Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner. My goal this trip was not to run any patches between shots at all. I intended to shoot 10 shots in a row. The gun was my White U-Mag, I had alcohol cleaned out the bore early in December to remove the Slip 2000 bore oil that was in it. I dried the bore with compressed air and dry patches. I then ran one damp (not wet) patch of MX several stokes both sides. Then during the month and until now I would run a dry patch every couple of weeks - just as a check. Today is the first time the gun has been shot with MX in the bore.

Plans changed slightly on the shoot site, I got a case of cold feet a bit. I ran one dry patch both sides before shooting, then I popped two primers and re-ran the same patch once. Loaded the first shot and with the range rod in the gun attached a piece of tape around the rod for a witness mark to judge the rest of the shots.

Touched off #1 and it surprised the heck out of me - it went where it was suppose to - usually I do not even shoot the first one at the target cause it is a bit wild until the bore is fouled. Here is where I broke my plan - I ran the original dry patch again - felt nothing dropped right to the breech plug. Shot the next 4 shots - no problem loading and took another range rod picture after #5 was loaded. By now my confidence was growing - but after shot #5, it went high, I was ticked... Guess that didn't help the next few shots. All shots loaded fine after that and after I finished loading #10 took another picture of the range-rod. I was so confident about the bore - I decided to shoot 5 more shots using a good and proven bullet, cause I was still ticked at the first group. Shot 1, 2, 3 and I knew I should quit, because I started thinking about Semisane's ML rules. So #4 is all his fault I was thinking his name as I pulled the trigger. Since I ruined the group #5 went very easy. I really think I could have gone right on shooting without patching.

The last thing I did on site was to run the original dry patch in the barrel. No patching had been done between shots, except after #1 - ran it right to the bottom and out without problem - flipped it and ran it again. Took a picture of the patch...

Target SEMI stinks - but you get to see the bad with the good.

1-23WhiteShoot2.jpg

Here also is a picture record of the loading...

1-23White-MXShootingPatch.jpg

Still with all of this It seems to work for me, but who knows if it is answer to anything. I can say go 'buy it' yet - gotta do more testing - which means more shooting...

Actually that is some very good shooting there. And I know what you mean about patching after using the stuff. I was patching with a spit patch and no dry patch after, the other day and it was working fine.

Gopher4 gawt u!! :wink:

5 in what... 1.75 or so, in 20 degree weather? NOTHING wrong with that.

But 5 in just under an inch would have been better. :D

also impressive is his lack of swabbing... thats pretty good when you think about it.

Latest posts

Back