Testing @ the Dinger Farm

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Well, looking at the walls in the house got to me today so thought I would get a bit of afternoon shooting in. Took the Disc Ext MHC and headed to the farm.

The object of the shoot was to really to do some additonal testing with the Montana Xtreme Bore Conditioner that I have been using in the gun for the last couple of months. The gun has been shot and cleaned 3 different times with the conditioner added in the barrel - today was the fourth trip.

The 'test' was to shoot the last eight .458/300 grain Hornady bullets that I had, but more importantly was to guage the amout of fouling that I might be getting or hopefully not getting... I cleaned the gun at the end of elk season this year and as the final step added the Montana Xtreme into the barrel as the last step of that cleaning. Today while in the house I ran a dry patch to bring out as much Xtreme as it would. I ran the patch both sides - essentially I do not think it picked up anything. I did not run an alcohol patch to strip the bore. I really wanted to see what the first shot on a 'squeaky clean' but conditioned barrel might do.

If you look at the target you can see where #1 went. I then ran a moistened windex patch patch down the barrel. It went down very smooth and went right to the BP plug without feeling anything. There is no doubt in my mind I could have reloaded and shot again without the patch. I shot 2 more 100 grain loads with out patching. I then decided to shoot my hunting load 120 grain of T7-2f. I did run the original windex patch before 120 grain load. Again the patch went to the bottom very smoothly and very easily. I did feel a bit of ruffness just before it dropped on the breech plug, although nothing was felt at the normal 'crud ring' spot. Again it would not have interfrred with any reloading effort.

Loaded the first 120 grain load - shot and patched again with the original windex patch. Patch went to the bottom very smoothly and I can not say I felt much of anything. Loaded and shot 2 more 120 grain loads - no patching. Then with the last two .458 bullets that I had I tried to estimate the wind and use the ballistic recticule to compenstate... so shots 7 & 8 are with compensation.

At the end of this session I ran two windex patches both sides - the second patch came out very close to clean. It is my belief that there has been a reduction in fouling in the barrel.

1-14KEMHCTarget2.jpg

This is the product...

http://www.montanaxtreme.com/products/b ... tioner.php

Wind influnce and everything.. that's some darn good shooting there.

UC

Tell you the truth when I first opened it I thought it was and smelled like 'Butches Bore Shine.' The most prevelent smell probably is ether.

Contents listed as:

Glycol ether - Terpenes - Petroleum Distillates

+ they say that some of the ingredients of listed by the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or reproductive harm.

I am aware your thoughts about being able to condition modern metal, but at this point I really thought I would give the product a try. I wish you could have seen the patch and felt the bore as it was going down.

The .458 MMP Sabot combination is really snug going down the barrel of the Knight even on a clean barrel so to compensate on the dirty barrel I did roll the sabot on my tongue before I put it down the barrel. It then would go down with 2 hand pressure on the range rod.

Nice shootin and pics, if it wasn't so darn cold, I'd make a range trip.

Sabotloader how do you like the Bushnell 3200 Elite 3-9X40? They are about my favorite scope, but I've been a little concerned about the eye relief. I have a Bushnell 4200 2.5X10 that I've thought about using on one of my muzzleloaders.

Swampman

The 3200's work very well for me and eye relief has not been a problem. The 3.3" they list as eye relief is when on 9X and I do not know about you but if I am on 9X I am on a rest and taking more time to deleiver the bullet. As you drop in power the relief gets greater.

I agree that eye relief is not really an issue (for me). I have the Elite 3200 with the ballistic reticle on my 50cal PH. I just mounted a 4200 2.5-10x40mm on the Accura. I really like these scopes. Clear, clear, clear!

Back