Thanks for the help a couple of months ago....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

431cruiser

Reaction score
I think I posted under Inlines or something back in September. You guys gave me some good info on loads and ML 101. I thought that I would be shooting my new rifle for the first time back then, but never got a chance.

Today, I finally shot it and am really pumped up!! I cannot wait to hunt with it. I decided to use 250gr. Shockwaves and Pyrodex. I wish now that I had bought 777 pellets instead of the powder, but may try that next time. Anyway, with the Shockwaves and 100 grains of powder, the rifle was almost perfect right out of the box.

My bulls eye was a 3" square. I was 2 1/2" high at 25 yds, right on it at 50, and hit the top edge of the 3" square at 100yds. This is without a scope and using a pillow as a rest. I did not have enough room to try 150 yds, but figure the same load would be adequate. At that range and with open sights, I think it would be more of a visibility issue than a load issue.

I was pretty proud of the 100 yarder.....had Lasik surgery a few years ago and that was the first time since then that I have shot a rifle of any kind without a scope!!

I spent about 30 minutes getting the rifle cleaned up like new again and then put it away. I have a hunting trip scheduled the second weekend in December with it.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me back in September.

Congratulations on some great shooting ... especially right out of the box. As for Triple Se7en over Pyrodex in pellets. The Pyrodex crud deposits are softer and easier to swab out then the Triple Se7en, and really.. at the end of the day you still have to clean the rifle. If the Pyrodex RS takes a couple minutes more but produces that kind of accuracy, you almost hate to monkey with a good thing.

Glad to hear the eye surgery went well and you are back shooting... Good luck.

Back