Thanks for the help!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawkeyeEd

Reaction score
Started reading this forum over the last month or so seeking some advise on muzzleloading and I just want to thank all who post and comment on it. I appreciate guys offering advise and not being overly critical of others. People truly trying to give good advise is refreshing. Not all outdoor forums are like that. My son and I got into muzzleloading a few years ago and we both have taken nice deer and love shooting our muzzleloaders. However, We have always read about guys shooting really tight groups at extended ranges and to be quite honest we have not be able to achieve anything tighter than a 3 1/2 inch group at 100 at the range. After reading many posts and a few articles by Toby Bridges on powder, sabot and bullet combos we have been able to finally achieve those 1 inch groups and I must say it was nice to leave the range excited rather than frustrated or thinking "Well that will have to be close enough". I thought I would mention the changes we made in hopes that maybe someone else might benefit. We went from 100 gr 777 pellets to 110 gr of BH 209. Changed Primers from 777 muzzleloading primers to CCI 209. Went from 270 gr Federal Bor Loc bullet to the 300 gr Scorpion PT Gold with the black Crush Rib sabot. Didn't touch the scope and the groups closed right up for both of us. Excited about our deer hunting trip to southern Iowa this weekend. Good shooting and hunting to all.

Welcome Ed. Lots of good moves mentioned, pellets to B209 powder, the appropriate primers, then a nice bullet held in a crush rib sabot.

All it usually takes is a little experimenting with components of a known effectiveness. Once set up you can rest a bit while keeping an eye out for something that may work better.

I did a 'shoot off' between my M-L and a shotgun slug gun for an IL hunt this Fall. My Knight Elite handily beat the shotgun at the range, plus the trigger is about 5 times better.

Good luck to you both this weekend, post your results in the muzzleloader success stories, I enjoy reading them :yeah:

Looks like it's going to be the Late Muzzleloader season for me and the family, life is just too busy for Shotgun 2.

Welcome to the Forum, glad you found us. Lots of us think this is the best Forum on the web too! :yeah: :wink: If you ever get Frustrated with an ML this is a great place to chat and get some other ideas and advice to make it much more pleasant. There are a lot of us that had pretty much gone exclusively to hunting with an ML now as we just find it more satisfying. :yeah: :wink:

Back