Thanks OldMountainMan.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegadehunter

Reaction score
Hey OMM, I was out shooting this Saturday and did some testing of some different patch lubes. I know you like mink oil and remember you saying it is very slick and you have to very lightly apply it. I've always just lubed one side of the patch by rubbing the patch around on it for a bit and then rub it out to the edges with my thumbs, which resulted in about 4"-5" groups...not the greatest. So this time I gave each patch just one pass across the lube and then made sure it was out to the edges with my thumbs. I just made up 3 of them for 3 shot group testing since I had several other lubes I wanted to try. It was far and away the best grouping lube I used. It is the first picture and will be my whitetail hunting load this year. I tweaked the rear sight a bit to the right to center it up. I was shooting at 50 yards, so I left it a bit high for about a 75 yard zero.

I've had some really good groups from a Dutch type of Castor oil / Denatured alcohol dry patch lube method, but they shot pretty terrible this time around? The patches were made up this last spring, so about 3 months old or better, perhaps they break down the patch material pretty quickly and that was the issue. Won't know until I make up some fresh ones and try them the next time I go shooting. How this lube shot is the second picture. The one way out to the right was the clean bore shot, which I usually don't see near so far out of the main "group".

Anyway, thanks for the mink oil info, it proved out in my rifle.
mink.JPG
CODA.JPG

It's hard to beat a group like that. Nice shooting. Another good thing about Mink Oil is it's not affected by cold weather. Some lubes harden up in cold weather but not Mink Oil.

Mink oil is my favorite hunting lube although Hoppes BP Lube is my preference at the range.

I normally do the same Hanshi, I really like the Hoppes for a wet lube type. Sure loads easy.

Either Hoppe's or the old Lehigh formula for the range. Although most of the time I practice with my hunting load. I like to keep everything simple.

When I used mink oil the stuff I used was not the shoe product, but pure so there was no silicone or petro base in it. it acted very well but trying castor oil rubbed in has given very good results. I tried the dry patch method but did not have good results, even the loading with castor was easier than with pure mink. The first load goes in very easy, there after it is a might stiffer, but still easier than with mink, and I swab between shots cause that's what mine does the best that way.

When ever Pete leaves for another world we'll render him down for a good oily grease. And sell it as "Pete's Juice" ..... 😧 :dancing chicken::thumbs up: :coffee:

Latest posts

Back