The best inline muzzleloader!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mnt monkey

Reaction score
The best inline muzzleloader available to the American public is a 45 Cal muzzleloader with a fast twist barrel! I'm convinced that the best twist available is 18, I know some think that's much too fast, I have shot many 20 twist and many 22 twist the last 7 years. The 18 twist will shoot the heavier 40 cal bullets in a light blue sabot much better than the 20 and 22 will,, a 225 to 250 grain 40 cal in a light blue sabot carries the most efficiency downrange,, as for sizing bullets to bore it will shoot anything from a 250 to a 350 all day ,,even 400 grain jacketed bullets such as the northern precision,, the 18 twist 45 is the most versatile muzzleloader available. Quality muzzleloader between $800 and 1500 should not have to be tweaked and worked on when someone buys it, I'm not buying any muzzleloader at that price point again that doesn't have an adjustable breach plug or that needs a replacement plug, I just got to a place in my own muzzle loading buying where I'm not doing that anymore ,,I understand it may limit my gun buying that's okay too ,I need to slow that down anyway, if I see a new rifle that comes out by anyone that I don't have to turn around and buy new parts for I'll take a serious look at it ,again it just seems like that's an accepted thing in muzzleloading shouldn't be that way. A whole lot of any muzzleloaders potential is in its barrel sometimes we buy muzzleloaders having no idea where the barrels come from, at least with company like Woodman arms you have a choice of a McGowan or Brux I really like that,, this post isn't to highlight Woodman arms,, but I can't help but speak for the philosophy and the direction that company seems to be headed.

Catamount rob,, I agree Woodman arms is unique,, but there are a lot of other rifles that are kind of in the same price points between $600 to $1,500,,, I will buy $200 wolf perhaps or something similar but there's no way I'm buying any more of those mid-range rifles or higher priced rifles that I have to buy parts for,, it just shouldn't be that way if I keep buying them I'm condoning that.

Well... I think I am totally satisfied with my 1/20 twist Knights (and I am speaking for hunting not target shooting).

I shoot Lehigh 40x230 gr. brass bullets and a .458x260 gr. copper full bore with extremely good accuracy.

45x260-Lehigh-Sabotless.jpg

Lehigh-40-Cal.jpg

The 230's are on the right of the pic.

Well... I think I am totally satisfied with my 1/20 twist Knights (and I am speaking for hunting not target shooting).
Yeah, im really considering buying the Ulite 45 1-20 barrel kit and dropping it in my GMB 54-120 laminate stock. I got a really light weight scope arriving today. It should be about perfect with my Lehigh rail and some light rings. Ive got a spare set of Vortex Pro 1" lows.

All my knights outfitted with a Lehigh bare primer BP ($20?) shoot lights out, and blowback free. I wouldn't consider that a major cost after the purchase. And you could probably use the factory bare primer BP with .02 shims to obtain the same thing. Granted, its not nearly as good a plug as the Lehigh.

The Lehigh plug costs less with shipping than ordering a plug from Knight. So i dont consider that a con at all. Its no different than me buying a set of Leo Vince exhaust for my Ducati instead of buying the Ducati branded performance exhaust. I paid less for better performance and quality.

The only knight rifle I have ,,I was privileged to buy from sabotloader,, it is a relic to me I have a lot of respect for the man that sold it to me,, however I have to say this it has rebuilt bolt and aftermarket plug I have no doubt when I get around to shooting it,, if I do,, it's going to shoot lights out ,going to play the devil's advocate here for a moment and just ask this question again ,, if I pay $500 to $800 for one of the mid-level knights to me it's aggravating if I have to buy a $5 replacement plug . Seems like other than a quality barrel the next thing in line of importance would be how the breach plug seals and operates,, we shouldn't have to buy replacement plugs for them I understand if they're wore out from use that's different. I appreciate the differences of opinion and I sure understand how all of our muzzleloaders become one of our children we're ready to fight if somebody picks on them ,,not picking on anybody's gun,, I'm picking on what we tolerate.

Knight wanted to avoid the potential Savage/Ball patent hassle if they used a removable vent liner. Possibly safety concerns also if a user left out the vent liner. Eventually the plug will where out anyway so its a logical choice. Out of all my Knights they all sealed up with a Win209. I never had to shim a single one but im clearly in the minority. Ive owned several years of production too.

CVA until the MRX/LRX line did not include the BH209 plug on any model.

Nothing against Woodman but its just not quite my cup of tea. Very close though and what he has done with the adjustable plug line is very cool. The Patriot is a excellent value. Nothing comes close.

If I have to choose which type of muzzleloader I'm going to shoot or I prefer it's a bolt action,, I like the looks and the feel of the bolt action knight,, my original hesitancy with Patriot was the ergonomics of the stock I didn't think it would feel good I've said this before when I shouldered the gun and pointed it it was much different I really liked it. I hope Woodman arms has a bolt action one day with the barrel options and the adjustable breach plug,,, also hope perhaps knight will offer the same choice of barrels or even others and an adjustable plug. Twin lug bolt action, choice of 18 or 20twist button or cut rifle, 2-4 lb trigger, adjustable plug, perhaps even the choice of large rifle primer module.

Knight needs 2 things.
2 action screws and a smaller firing pin :D

They did the firing pin change on the Peregrine but i would really like to see 2 action screws.

Knight needs 2 things.
2 action screws and a smaller firing pin :D

They did the firing pin change on the Peregrine but i would really like to see 2 action screws.

Remember at one time thay did have two actions screws but it did not work out. The design of the cantelever lug was suppose to eliminate the need of the 2 screws.

I have asked more than once with the Knight people about reducung the size of the firing pin. If they reduce it to the size of primer ignitions it will not work consistently with Western/cap igntion. That would mean that Knight would have to offer 2 hammer assemblies, increasing costs.

Even reducing the size of the firing pin hole in the face of the bolt to a size slightly greater than the current firing pin would help. But if you are shooting Western with all the possible blowback material - the build up on the firing pin could cause a failure to fire.

I would jump on that if I found it I've kind of become an Omega nut myself I have three of them and I just have a smokeless prototype barrel for the omegas from Patriot arms 18 twists that I've been shooting I absolutely love it I've already made up my mind if I had to sell every muzzleloader I have and take a muzzleloader to the desert island with my sack of fury bullets it would most likely be that smokeless barrel Omega it has his adjustable breach plug and it shoots lights out it puts all sabo loads that I've shot in it less than half an inch I don't need it to bore ride!!

Correction that barrel was from Woodman arms I keep making the mistake of calling him Patriot arms I'm sure he would answer to that too.

Whitworth 0.451” (52bore) 1:20 twist - he experimented for 3-4 years (1854-57) in an enclosed 400 yard range. His experiments included twist up to 1:1. He determined 1:20 was the best for the 530gr bullet.
Less than a decade later, Rigby came out with a 1:18, similar to Gibbs gain twist ending it 1:18.
This was all done for shooting at 1000yards.

Knight 500 is the first and only 1:18 (Target) their next model the Mountaineer 1:20 (Hunting). Is more than adequate for most as proven in competition.

I have a lot of one and 20s and I really like them,, but they don't shoot heavier 40 cals in a light blue as well as the one in 18,, and they don't shoot heavier jacketed bullets such as a 325 and 350 pitman ,now heavy lead and real black powders another world for me I cannot speak to that or anyone else's experience with that,, I've shot two different 400 grain jacketed bullets this week with 84 grains of Black Horn by weight, this is a 400 grain sharp point Northern precisions ,a prototype bullet ,I just finished shooting it about 10 minutes ago this is in a 18 twist barrel Brux,, I'm not even going to put this in one of my 20 twist barrels to see I'm absolutely convinced that this one and 18 is better,, this particular one in 18 will also shoot a 250 or 275 bullet in a ragged hole,, my 1:20 twist barrels all shoot very well but they're a little bit more bullet particular. This is a six shot group you'll see a bullet that's a little high pulled the other five shots are not bad for 400 grains of jacketed bullet heading down range. Big fan of the 20 but in my book the 18 is more versatile

Attachments

• IMG_20220727_174046740.jpg
    IMG_20220727_174046740.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

The best inline muzzleloader!!​

It would look a little like this but with the Ulite 45 barrel and my Lehigh base. I set the Vortex rings so they would match the shorter Lehigh rail.
20oz for scope/rings/base with the Lehigh. Didnt weigh the stock but its noticeably lighter than the TH.
cSBtRkC.jpg

Vortex lows fit fine with the Blue Sky 42mm OBJ
fTpZhJe.jpg

Back