Woodman Patriot 45 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mnt monkey, thanks for the tip on the .402 bullets.

LHR, Thanks for the info on the adjustable breech plug. I didn’t think about pushing the lever forward. If I get a chance to go to the range again, I’ll try adjusting it again.

How do you clean the adjustable breech plug?

Break it all down into individual pieces I do mine every 20 shots sometimes I might shoot 25 times you're sure not going to hurt it if you pull it out after every shooting session and clean it too but I would break it down completely, I'm sure that you could probably shoot it a lot more than 25 times it's just a lot easier to keep everything clean and all the surfaces doing it every 20 to 25 if I only shot the gun though 10 or 15 and I wasn't going to shoot it for a day or two I'd probably still break it down and clean it I've become a believer in keeping that plug and it's good a shape as you can no matter whose plug it is

Break it all down into individual pieces I do mine every 20 shots sometimes I might shoot 25 times you're sure not going to hurt it if you pull it out after every shooting session and clean it too but I would break it down completely, I'm sure that you could probably shoot it a lot more than 25 times it's just a lot easier to keep everything clean and all the surfaces doing it every 20 to 25 if I only shot the gun though 10 or 15 and I wasn't going to shoot it for a day or two I'd probably still break it down and clean it I've become a believer in keeping that plug and it's good a shape as you can no matter whose plug it is
Thanks. I’ll take mine apart tomorrow and clean. I’ll figure out what size torch tip fits in the small hole for in between full cleanings.

I like to measure the total length on mine before I start - makes returning to the correct headspace much simpler. Then I add a drop of solvent to the flash channel and let it run down to the bushing. Let it set for a few min, then remove the bushing set screw and gently tap out the bushing from the primer side with a punch. Then use a drill bit and brush to clean the flame channel and primer pocket and a brush and solvent patch to clean the screw and bushing. I don’t remove the core from the body on every cleaning. Then lightly grease the bushing and hollow set screw and reassemble.

75D1DC78-E530-423A-A47C-5061BD1B38B7.jpeg

ElDiablo,

Great idea to measure the length before disassembling.

Do you have the high pressure breech plug with the flash channel in the bushing?

Last edited:
Cleaned the breech plug tonight. Mine is the medium pressure one and is different than ElDiablo’s. The flash hole is part of the primer pocket and the bushing is just a big hole. I measured the breech plug length prior to disassembly with digital calipers and was able to repeat it when I got it back together.

Observations from cleaning my breech plug.
Main adjustable breech plug: 13mm socket
Primer pocket: 3/8” socket
Flash channel in primer pocket: 9/64” drill bit. Was afraid to go bigger. :)
Flash hole in primer pocket: 0.0325” torch tip cleaner. I marked it with a sharpie.

I used Hoppe’s #9, foam q-tips and cleaning patches. After cleaning the different pieces, I use 92% IPA to dry them.

The primer pocket had breech plug grease on it when I removed it and used the grease when assembling. I wiped light oil on the outside of the bushing and hollow set screw.

I thought I had a set of small brushes but couldn’t find them, would make it a little easier. A trip to the hardware store or HF is in order.

Thanks for all of the tips!

Great choice on barrel. I have a brux 1:20 and it shoots 275 gr bullets into one hole.no brake for me though.

Latest posts

Back