The Club roads are open :)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Living in the "tundra" as a couple friends call it, you can't just wait for the perfect day to shoot. They just don't come around that often anyway. Today I ran up to the club to shoot off just a front rest, no lead sled and no rear bag. Nothing but the ol'shoulder. Not as easy as some may think.....

50° and sunny but, when I pulled out the wind meter it indicated 9 to 17.2 mph. The wind was blowing towards the bench, maybe around a -4° from the north. Gusts were frequent, making the sustained wind almost as high as the gusts themselves, yet at time almost pausing.

I tacked the first target at 200yds, walking to it of course, as the road to the targets were still soft. After relaxing and loading up, I made the attempt to get the rifle anchored in my shoulder, where I could keep it steady. I am using a PAST shoulder pad. First couple rounds flew high, which was most likely my shooting form, although I'd rather blame it on a wind gust :lol: After the first two rounds, I may have accidently found a way to get a decent anchor and the remaining 8 rounds ended up respectable. I didn't move the turrets because I'm still hoping for a better day.

After sending those 10 rounds at 200 I walked another target down to 300yds, knowing full well this would be difficult without the sled. I attempted to use the same anchoring method as I was using when shooting 200yds. Three of the rounds went high, still MOA but high. After I thought about it, I may have been pulling the stock into my shoulder to hard, pulling the shots upward. Maybe the wind affected it :lol: Put one in the bull, then one low right that I knew was me when the trigger broke.

Shooting with a front rest ONLY, is certainly a challenge. More shooting coming up........

Good shootin' at the 200 and nice at the 300. :applause: :applause: :applause: I'm lucky to see the target at 300 yards.

Ray........... :yeah:

Thanks.

These target guys have me out on a whole new adventure, with so much to learn. Its not like shoot'n at a deer, where there's no think'n about it, which may be part of my current problem :lol:

Sure is fun though :yeah:

There is nothing wrong with that 200 target.
Chicken is about a 4" circle without head, tail & foot.
300 pig is about 9"t x 16"w + feet
Everyone needs a little luck as well..

Latest posts

Back