The Gun Works

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I view this site when ever I'm browsing muzzleloaders.  Lots of listings.  It might be my imagination but the sellers are pretty proud of their firearms here.  Prices seem to always be a little higher on this site.

Didn't this place use to have their own tv show? I can see their faces, the father had a british accent. I know the son was on pawn stars now and then to price old muzzleloaders they bring on to sell at the pawn shop. Could be a different place but after seeing the prices on the rifles, i may be right.

When you compare their pricing to other sites with same condition and brands they are about the same. Some of these guys think T/C's, CVA's are worth big bucks and they still have them after months of advertised.

SIDE NOTE
This reminds me of a friend in Ft. Collins that owned the biggest muzzle loading store from Denver to Cheyenne. He had quality weapons with premium prices. He also had modern in another part of the store (slow movers when compared to the smoke poles). I was asked why they weren't selling? When you started looking at the shotguns; the purchase cost was to high and several had bulged barrels, the guy doing the buying wasn't paying attention. The owner said what do we do, easy send the guns to a gunsmith that could correct the bad barrels ($75 a piece). The owner cried about what was invested, and really cried when shown what it would take to move them. Like so many shop owners he had to bite the bullet and move them out and recover what funds he could.

Once that was done, the recovered funds were spent on guns he knew - muzzle loaders and black powder cartridge guns.

He then made an agreement with me and we started buying out all the kitchen table operations and small shops that handled muzzleloaders in a 100 mile area. Once that was done he was the only one with black powder or the guns that used it.. He recovered his losses from the modern guns within a few weeks advertised as used firearms in the local papers making his investment back (no profit). Lesson learned on paying attention on trades.

That lasted for over 12 years as being the number one in dealer in northern CO for smoke poles and ended when he had a heart attack and passed on. I was contacted once again this time by the family to sell out the operation, that was done in 2-1/2 - 3 months. Very upsetting over loosing a good friend and then having to sell his prized wares that we worked so hard to get.

Ive bought a couple of guns from Gun Works myself. Suzi and her husband own it and they have always been good to me and fair. They also sell Oregon Barrels. They will build you a drop in barrel for a TC if you so desire. There price is a little more than the Green mountain barrels but Green mountain isnt making them anymore. Al

Yes Joe and Suzi Williams own The Gun Works in Springfield, Oregon...They are very good people and I have been dealing with them for over  30 years....They have a good selection of about everything you could want Production, Custom, Originals not to mention the Oregon Barrel Company....They will make anything your heart desires up to a 2 bore....

Hilljack

I wouldn't rest well at night.....knowing I had to make my living buying/selling ML rifles!! :cry: :affraid:

Sharpsman said:
I wouldn't rest well at night.....knowing I had to make my living buying/selling ML rifles!! :cry: :affraid:
My friend came to Colorado 1972 (met him on his second day and became friends on the spot). He started work in a small muzzle-loading shop making $0.75 an hour within a few years he purchased that shop. Still living as cheap as possible and saving every penny. When he passed in 2000 his business was the only one handling black powder for a 100 mile radius. He owned half a city block in Fort Collins, still living as cheap as possible and saving every penny. I helped to sell the shop, go through his single wide trailer that he purchased in '72 as he had a few things that needed to be removed and destroyed that the DOW would have loved to got their hands on. The family kept the building, now yuppie style businesses with apartments over head. Anyway his net worth from humble beginnings was just over $2 million, not bad for selling ML rifles.

That net worth wasn't from selling ML rifles, it was from being money conscious and cutting corners. He could have done the same thing in several other businesses, I'll bet.

Find a need and fill it better than your competitors.

Hilljack said:
Yes Joe and Suzi Williams own The Gun Works in Springfield, Oregon...They are very good people and I have been dealing with them for over  30 years....They have a good selection of about everything you could want Production, Custom, Originals not to mention the Oregon Barrel Company....They will make anything your heart desires up to a 2 bore....

Hilljack
I stop in their shop on every trip up or down the coast and always come away smiling.  Done a lot of business over the years with them online, too.  In fact I bought my GRRW 58 cal Hawken from them, too. Bought a used 58 cal custom from them too, that one with an Oregon barrel.  Nothing but praise. 

Might be some bigger places here and there, but none of them can beat Joe and Suzi for service and honesty.  Springfield is on the outskirts of Eugene and their shop is off a side road that's a little hard to find the first time, but within hearing of I-5. Anyone driving up or down I-5 is CRAZY not to stop there.  Just allow plenty of time, cuzz you're not walking in and out of that door on any kind of schedule.

Bought my first Sharps rifle from him. Never really cared for the guy dealt with one of his employees named Steve. I always thought he was kind of an errogant ass. But his shop had alot on nice muzzleloaders for sure. Theres no muzzleloader shop here in this area now anywhere. Kind of a shame but I dont think the intrest is there. AR-15s and so forth now take the front door so if you dont own one you just aint cool. Al

I get requests to move back to northern Colorado and open another muzzle-loading shop like before from old friends. Everyone wants to spend your money and no one offers support, just want to hang out like before. Too old to even consider such a move plus Colorado has changed with new gun laws and more taxes than ever before thanks to Gov. Hickenloper (how ever its spelled).

conner said:
I get requests to move back to northern Colorado and open another muzzle-loading shop like before from old friends. Everyone wants to spend your money and no one offers support, just want to hang out like before. Too old to even consider such a move.
Now, Buck, it always is fun to spend someone else's money.
There was a shop in the Denver area until a few years ago, The Blunderbuss. I know he struggled financially to keep the shop open. 
Ron

Seems small gun shops are dwindling, so in my travels I pull plenty of Ue's to check out old-timer gun shops.  Here's a link to a gun shop within driving distance where I purchase traditional components (mostly archery) right off-the-shelf without having to order online.   I like the shop's low-key , " come-on-in " and chat atmosphere.  Usually has nice smokers on display.

http://www.huntersrendezvous.com/index-2.html

RonC said:
conner said:
I get requests to move back to northern Colorado and open another muzzle-loading shop like before from old friends. Everyone wants to spend your money and no one offers support, just want to hang out like before. Too old to even consider such a move.
Now, Buck, it always is fun to spend someone else's money.
There was a shop in the Denver area until a few years ago, The Blunderbuss. I know he struggled financially to keep the shop open. 
Ron
I knew him at the Blunderbuss, in fact he still owes me about $65 bucks for my books he sold. To bad good location on West Colfax.

The Blunderbuss moved to one of the northern Denver suburbs. I think he had a fire after which he closed up shop.
The owner was an "interesting" fellow.
Ron

Latest posts

Back