The Mongrel is ready for Ohio Deer season!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Mongrel is considered a Firearm, though it can be used in some states during ML season. You will need to fill out paper work and cant ship it like a regular ML. If your familiar with Encores its pretty much the same way. If you can change barrels it cant be a glorified ML. My encores are strictly Muzzleloaders to me. But i still had to fill out the paper work, even though i dont change barrels.

Ive been hunting Turkey with a 410 barrel on another Mongrel to me. Not sure what SSK calls it. Lots of fun
I am quite familiar with the TC Encore. I have several of them. I use one of my frames for muzzleloader barrels and another for centerfire barrels. Also got one for a rifled 20 gauge.It is not the frame or action that make a gun a muzzleloader. It is the barrel, the breech and how it is loaded.
The Mongrel barrel does not fit the definition of a muzzleloader. Again, it is not what I think. It is a fact. Both the powder and projectile need to be loaded from the muzzle to constitute a “muzzleloader”.
A muzzleloader is called a muzzleloader because it is supposed to be loaded from the muzzle.
Hence the name “muzzleloader “.

Last edited:
I am quite familiar with the TC Encore. I have several of them. I use one of my frames for muzzleloader barrels and another for centerfire barrels. Also got one for a rifled 20 gauge.It is not the frame or action that make a gun a muzzleloader. It is the barrel, the breech and how it is loaded.
The Mongrel barrel does not fit the definition of a muzzleloader. Again, it is not what I think. It is a fact. Both the powder and projectile need to be loaded from the muzzle to constitute a “muzzleloader”.
A muzzleloader is called a muzzleloader because it is supposed to be loaded from the muzzle.
Hence the name “muzzleloader “.
An Encore isnt considered a Muzzleloader either. It's a firearm so whatever. Your not interested so quit posting on this thread. Thanks

I see a box of "charges" in the opening post. How about a picture of the individual "charge" without any wrapper of not in a box? Maybe show a couple different angles so we can make up our own mind if it's a bulletless cartridge, which it seems to be.

The Encore platform is not considered a muzzleloader if a cartridge is/can used to shoot, correct. Until a true muzzleloading, load powder and bullet from the muzzle, barrel has been attached.

There are origins of definitions that are creating the confusion. For this discussion, per the ATF, there are Firearms and Antique Firearms.

1. Antique firearm.(a) Any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and (b) any replica of any firearm described in paragraph (a) of this definition if such replica (1) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or (2) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
  2. Firearm.Any weapon, including a starter gun, which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or any destructive device; but the term shall not include an antique firearm. In the case of a licensed collector, the term shall mean only curios and relics.
This is a little confusing, but the fact is the Encore is a firearm. Whether a rifle barrel, shotgun barrel, or muzzleloader barrel is affixed, it is a firearm as defined by the ATF. A firearm requires the purchaser to complete ATF Form 4473 when purchased new. A firearm is a regulated item having manufacturing, shipping, distribution, storage, sales, and removal from use restrictions.

States may allow the use of a Firearm for hunting as a muzzleloader when the proper barrel is affixed, but affixing a muzzleloader barrel to the registered/serialized receiver does not convert the Firearm to an Antique Firearm. Once a Firearm, always a Firearm, until it is destroyed.

The next issue is that each state defines what is considered a legal muzzleloader for their game seasons. A good reference can be found here. Muzzleloader Regulations by State Caveat is that these may or may not be up to date. Many states, in fact the majority of states, do not require the item to be charged by adding the powder at the muzzle end for muzzleloader hunting seasons.

The ATF define what a Firearm/Antique Firearm is, the states define what type of item is allowed to be used in their muzzleloader season, and the individual defines if they want to restrict the state's definition based on their own beliefs. America - no other place like it.

Hope this helps.

An Encore isnt considered a Muzzleloader either. It's a firearm so whatever. Your not interested so quit posting on this thread. Thanks
Never said it was. Read what I said. It is not the action or the frame that defines a muzzleloader . It is whether or not both powder and projectile are loaded from the muzzle.

Back