The Mongrel is ready for Ohio Deer season!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like a great setup. The only thing I would change is to save some weight by switching to a Spartan Precision Equipment, Classic Picatinny adapter, a Javelin Pro Hunter bipod, and perhaps a Sentinel Woodland-length tripod.

Otherwise, it looks like an excellent rig.

Now that some time has passed, how about a long term report on the SSK Mongrel system. I've been following this site ever since you first mentioned it - I've had no response from several inquiries directly to SSK. I've tried contacting SSK's dealers - other than a chuckle, they have absolutely no idea when the Mongrel will be available.

Do you know what states the Mongrel can be used in for hunting ?

I too have been making monthly inquiries about the Mongrel system for over a year - not one reply from Lehigh or SSK. SSK's dealer / distributors have replied with estimated delivery dates that have come & gone, so I quit asking those particular SSK customers within the supply chain.

I too have been making monthly inquiries about the Mongrel system for over a year - not one reply from Lehigh or SSK. SSK's dealer / distributors have replied with estimated delivery dates that have come & gone, so I quit asking those particular SSK customers within the supply chain.
Thats a shame, its a pretty cool utilitarian " run n gun " rig.

I gave up on the pursuit of the Mongrel after my self imposed 1 year time limit - it's past. I've decided to dust off my T/C Gen 1 Contender, acquire a SSK Flip Grip Stock & order a custom 50 caliber stainless inline 209 barrel from Bullberry. I should have my barrel by late June / early July. "If" SSK / Lehigh should ever actually produce a Mongrel upper, I'll buy one. I too like the concept, but the customer service SSK & Lehigh has gone dark.

Attachments

• mySSKflipGrp.jpg
    mySSKflipGrp.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 0
  • mySSKflipGrpF.jpg
    mySSKflipGrpF.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 0
It isn’t what I think. It is what the definition of a muzzleloader is.

View attachment 34598

The ATF thinks differently. You can argue with them. I love innovation and changes. Look at the recurve bow. Now we got compound bows, Crossbows, Air guns shooting arrows. EVERYONE has a choice on what they want to use based on state laws. It's really just as simple as that.

It is called “muzzle” “loader”. Not breech loader. Your gizmo does not fill the full requirement of the definition. Just because it is allowed into some states’ blackpowder seasons’, does not change its definition.
It is a semi centerfire at best.

By the way. The ATF does not make hunting rules and regs.

Look at the muzzleloader gun. Now we got centerfire straightwall guns, necked down cartridge guns, primered shotgun guns…….
The Mongrel is considered a Firearm, though it can be used in some states during ML season. You will need to fill out paper work and cant ship it like a regular ML. If your familiar with Encores its pretty much the same way. If you can change barrels it cant be a glorified ML. My encores are strictly Muzzleloaders to me. But i still had to fill out the paper work, even though i dont change barrels.

Ive been hunting Turkey with a 410 barrel on another Mongrel to me. Not sure what SSK calls it. Lots of fun

Latest posts

Back