The Mosin Nagant

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
My brother bought me 440 rounds for my M44 Mosin Nagant that I bought last year. Love the rifle but our shop only carried the $25 per box ammo and so i wasn't able to shoot it much. Got out today at 100 yards, zeroed it in and 2 out of 3 shots were 1/2" apart! The ammo is deadly accurate and is actually boat tail. The nastiest part of the ammo is the STEEL core! I recovered some today on the range and holy smokes, that stuff will penetrate what ever it comes up against.

Plan on taking some pictures in a few days of the rifle along with the ammo and hopefully a range report.

FG,
Is that stuff legal for you to use as hunting ammo or is it for target practice only.
My son has a Mosin also. He has had problems finding hunting ammo. I have an Arisaka 7.7mm that has limited hunting ammo. Makes target practice alittle hard (one range we use does not allow FMJ or Steel Core ammo).

not legal to use for hunting.

Prvi makes excellent hunting ammo but is expensive $25 per 20.

spent 3 hours at the whittington center with the vortek and mosin nagant. Was out shooting to 400 yards with the nagant with open sights and nailing the silhouettes! Such a fun powerful rifle to do some cheap shooting with.

I had the carbine version it was a tack driver gave it to a friend or so I thought he turned out to be a A'Hole I wish I kept it.

For a little more than $100 bucks, how can you beat this rifle? It's on my list but I didn't know that ammo for hunting is an issue. Hmmm....

Jono

Oh they are straight shooters if you can personally check it out before you buy! I looked up the FPS and they are close to a .308, no wonder it shoots so darn flat.

By check it out do you mean "shoot it"? What do you look for?

Jono

check the bore for pitting/deep scratches.

When i got mine i checked out where it was made, made sure to check all the numbers on gun,checked out the muzzle, bore, and especially the trigger pull! The trigger can be somewhat adjusted But not to where we normally like them.

someone makes an drop in trigger for them, fully adjustable. but you pay as much or more for the trigger as you do the whole gun.

there are some simple methods on adjusting the trigger pull. I have done it to mine, wish I could take a few more oz. off thou

man these suckers are awesome during LATE evening shooting. A good 3 to 4 foot flame comes out of these M44's.

Back