The ol Rem 700, not too shabby

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dom

Michigan, da Thumb
Supporting member
Reaction score
I took the plunge, and finally got all my ducks in a row, all the modifications I wanted done completed, scope mounted, etc. After research, bullets, powder, accessories, finally made it to the range. This is the first time I have fired this muzzleloader, and frankly, only the second time I've shot a muzleloader. I have a Badger Ridge 209 conversion on this 50 Cal Rem 700 SS, and mounted a Leupold Vari X III, 4.5-14 scope on it.
enhance

I fired about 15 shots. After getting it sighted in, I fired 5 rounds with the Hornady SST 250gr and the last 5 shots with Barnes Spit Fire T-EZ 290gr bullets. I did have one failure to fire, really not sure why. I waited a few seconds, popped the bolt, and took the primer off, it was dented nicely, just didn't go off. I'm from old school Nitro reloader, and back in the day word on the street was to never handle a primer with your hands, as possible to smear a little oil on them and supposedly they wouldn't fire. You pretty much have to put these primers on the bolthead with your fingers. It was raining out, but I had overhead cover so it was "dry" you might say, probably just humid. I can't imagine that being the cause of the failure, but then again I don't know. I know that no rain or wet got on the primer, Fed 209A. Any comments on possible causes of failure to fire much appreciated, you guys have years and decades MZ experience on me, and I'd prefer that didn't happen while hunting.

More shooting to do, but these Barnes bullets are looking like a great prospect for deer or elk hunting.

enhance

I’ve had one or two “dud” primers over the years. Usually they’ll go off the second time if you re-cock. Helps you know if you’re flinching when that happens😂

Nice Rifle! And Shootin! I am DIEHARD Rem 700 Fan (Centerfires) I have never owned a Rem 700 Muzzleloader, But would like to someday, A Custom Smokeless Build, something Similar to what @ENCORE50A has :lewis:

Latest posts

Back