The Shock Wave or the SST

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have shot deer with the 200, 250, and 300 grain SST/Shockwaves from 30 to 115 yards. All were pass through's except a 200 grainer that went through both shoulders at 115 yards, I found this bullet just under the hide in the offside shoulder. It retained 135 grains IIRC. No complaints here, and the SST's and Shockwaves are the same bullet.

045.jpg

046.jpg

Thanks guys, it appears just about like I thought, they either got a hold of a bad bullet or?? Lee

The main reason I shoot SST's instead of SW's is price. At Gander Mountain, I can buy 20 SST's for the same price ($13.99) as 15 SW's.

Bird1 said:
The main reason I shoot SST's instead of SW's is price. At Gander Mountain, I can buy 20 SST's for the same price ($13.99) as 15 SW's.

Same here!

Can't wait till they sell the SST's in bulk. I hate to waste the sabots I get with them.

Does anyone know "What make" Sabot (black) is supplied with the shockwaves and SST. I have read a lot of you change them to the Harvestor Short Blacks. Just curious.

ShawnT

Don't know, I always bought the 3 petal ez load as I got 25 SST bullets for the same price as the 20 with the black sabot :D . Since I was changing out the sabot, I got the extra bullets.

They may be the same bullet but in my .45cal disc Elite the 200gr Shock waves shoot tighter groups SW - 5/8" @ 100yds SST - 1.25" @ 100yds
and that is with 100gr of powder and a Harvester E-Z Load sabot (Blue)

I can shoot both bullets out of the Tan sabots ot the green sabots or the CR sabots and the SW will hold tighter patterns

lungbuster1
Where do you get your Harvestor sabots? Lee

ShawnT said:
Does anyone know "What make" Sabot (black) is supplied with the shockwaves and SST. I have read a lot of you change them to the Harvestor Short Blacks. Just curious.

ShawnT
MMP HPH24 for both the SW or SST.
Midsouth Shooters Supply carries Harvesters or you can order direct from Harvester now.

LEE

www.midsouthshootersupply.com

lee they have 2 type the blue E-Z load & the blue Crush rib i was useing the crush rib befor and was getting good Accuracy , but I mistakenly orderd the E-Z load one time and thought I would just try them any ways and they really shot better so thats what I order now ! but they like to be seated really hard down on the powder charge .

ShawnT said:
For those of you that have used the 250 grain SST or Shockwaves on Deer, Did they hold together or come apart on you? I thought I had read that some of them had blown up or Fraged on or just inside the deer. I might be mixing it up with another bullet though.

Thanks,

ShawnT

Hi ShawnT. During my mule deer hunt last year, I personally witnessed three 300 gr SST's completely disentegrate leaving only the copper cup behind. All three deer where bang- flops so I would hardly label it a failure. Personally, my three mule's where taken with 300 gr XTP's & they performed exactly the same; nothing left but a copper cup.

lungbuster1 said:
LEE

www.midsouthshootersupply.com

lee they have 2 type the blue E-Z load & the blue Crush rib i was useing the crush rib befor and was getting good Accuracy , but I mistakenly orderd the E-Z load one time and thought I would just try them any ways and they really shot better so thats what I order now ! but they like to be seated really hard down on the powder charge .
Fixed link

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

Back