The whizz buck

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First time hunting on Sunday, just became legal this year in VA. I stopped to take a whizz behind a large round hay bale,between two fields saw this buck in the open pasture field in front of me. Finished business, capped the .451 White Super 91 with 480 Bullshop, put on my camo face mask an directly he walked up to the fence line where I was. He looked at me then continued walking up the fence line. I found an opening in the brush and hit him in the left front shoulder, exit is on the right side in the pic. The heart was layed open in two halves, but he still ran roughly 20-25yds before falling in middle of pasture. 8 point, very fat an heavy, will taste good this winter!

Congrats on filling the freezer!! After eating tag soup last year I am not holding out for a trophy this season. Anything with horns higher than his ears is going on the table.

Congrads! :yeah: Good to see some of you getting meat in the freezer.

I still have to wait till Dec first. :(

Thanks!! I'm a meat hunter the antlers are just a bonus for me. I killed a spike with 12" spikes the same size as this buck couple years ago, just depends on the deer an what he has to eat is my guess. I actually prefer a nice fat mature doe, much better eating an once its in the freezer it all looks the same!! 8) 8)

excellent harvest!! That is a nice buck. A big Congratulations!!!

I had a friend many years ago, leaning against a tree, pants down, heeding the call of nature with a #2 situation when a buck came walking up the trail to him. He killed that buck from a "seated position" and said, after I finished the paper work I went and check him. We all laughed at him, but if you knew the guy, he was that calm about most things.

Speaking of urine... have you ever done Your business in the woods only to see a buck check out the spot? I would have never believe it true until I saw it myself.

Mossy... watching the Duluth news, they said the deer harvest might be down as much as 50% because of later winter's brutal conditions. If the harvest numbers in Northern WI were some of the worst ever... think what 50% of that will be.

cayuga said:
Mossy... watching the Duluth news, they said the deer harvest might be down as much as 50% because of later winter's brutal conditions. If the harvest numbers in Northern WI were some of the worst ever... think what 50% of that will be.

Yeah Dave we do not have our hopes set very high for up north this year, a couple guys in my group aren't even bothering going. We have had 7-10 cameras out since June and have more pictures of wolves and bears than of deer. I'm glad I hunt southwest MN opening weekend on the family farm were the deer numbers are ok. You seen any by your place?

CONGRATS BUDDY :!: :!: Enjoy those back straps..........

Ray.......... :yeah:

03mossy said:
cayuga said:

Yeah Dave we do not have our hopes set very high for up north this year, a couple guys in my group aren't even bothering going. We have had 7-10 cameras out since June and have more pictures of wolves and bears than of deer. I'm glad I hunt southwest MN opening weekend on the family farm were the deer numbers are ok. You seen any by your place?

We are buck only because of very small numbers and all I seen are three does. I've talked to a lot of friends and they are not going hunting. I might just not go either. In the store the other day they had a blaze orange back tag holder and it said in the window, "Eat Your Tag" and a closer look, it was a candy bar. That might be the better way to go this year.

Nice job on the buck toytruck! Contrats :D
Will be nice for us folks in VA to finally be able to hunt on Sundays, that is for sure.

cayuga said:
I had a friend many years ago, leaning against a tree, pants down, heeding the call of nature with a #2 situation when a buck came walking up the trail to him. He killed that buck from a "seated position" and said, after I finished the paper work I went and check him. We all laughed at him, but if you knew the guy, he was that calm about most things.

Believe it or not, I had the same thing happen to me about 15yrs ago rifle hunting on opening day. LOL, and I finished the ppwk too :lol:

cayuga said:
Speaking of urine... have you ever done Your business in the woods only to see a buck check out the spot? I would have never believe it true until I saw it myself.

I have not seen that Dave! May have happened after I left tho...I used to be very careful about such things, still hate to pee on stand, but haven't noticed any adverse effects. I still carry a urinal to the popup blind, not much room in there! :lol:

Congrats on a great hunt!

cayuga said:
Speaking of urine... have you ever done Your business in the woods only to see a buck check out the spot? I would have never believe it true until I saw it myself

I have found that if I "freshen" a scrape, the deer using it will work hard to cover mine up. Amazing!

My incident happened on the ATV trail to my stand. I had parked my ATV (which I could see from up in the tree) and decided... well lets make the mess here. So I picked out a spot on the trail and did what needed to be done. Went to the stand and from time to time I take my binoculars and check the ATV. I was shocked when I watched that buck, nose to the ground, sniffing "my spot." He did not seem alarmed but more curious of what I might be.

I have also had deer walk past my ATV and my Truck so close it about makes you wonder if hunting from the front seat would not be a good idea.

Nice and easy does it! Congrats

I prefer meat in its original packaging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back