Theory versus reality

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpcollins

Reaction score
My Bone Collector is sighted in to impact 1.5" high at 100 yards shooting 250gr Barnes TMZ and 110 grains of BH209. Based on my ballistics chart, I have a 131 yard zero distance and it drops 8.3" at 200 yards. So based on the sub tension of the crosshair to the top of the post on my 4A reticle, it measures 8.3" at 100 yards (16.6" at 200 yards). The MOA up for 200 yards is 3.9 or 4.08". Soooo, I've always thought that I could "frame" the deer's body at 200 yards with the crosshair and top of the post and hit.

Today I went out and set up a target but it wound up being exactly 207 yards. With black tape at 16.6" to help me frame the reticle easier, the first shot was 2" low, and 2" right from a clean barrel that's been sitting loaded since 11-14. I reloaded and shot another that was 1/2" low and 4" right. I was using my good front and rear rest but shooting off the tailgate of my truck. I was impressed with the results but I probably should get the windage corrected by next fall.

The 3rd shot was with my grandson's LK11 that was sighted in 1" high at 50 yards with a Bushnell red dot. I think it's been loaded with 50 grains of Triple 7 since the youth hunt back during the 3rd week of September. My distance was 71 yards - I think I'll leave that one alone. Neither rifle showed any signs of a misfire or hesitation whatsoever from being loaded for that length of time. :)

Nice to see that on a target, good shooting. I think you are doing exactly what I did to take a Doe at 206 yards a couple years ago. It was my longest kill so far. My load was 100grains BH with a 300gn Speer DC in MMP HPH-12 sabot. Just put the top of the bottom Leupold Duplex post at Center chest and squeezed it off. Hit was pretty much dead on. 8)

Was that 16" between the top tape and bottom tape or 16" from center target to top tape?

It was 16.6" between the two black lines which was double the 8.3" subtension for 100 yards. Since I only wanted 4.15" or half the subtension amount at 200 yards, it just worked out that framing the target (or deer's body) put me on target. So this summer hopefully I can shoot more at 200 yards and fine tune it a bit more. :shock:

Thanks. I thought that was what you had there.

I have very similar results shooting my Pro Hunter. I'm also shooting the 250gr TMZ and 75grs WEIGHT of BH209 (107.1grs V) with a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x50. At 10x I use the top of the bottom post in the duplex and it centers them. However this is with a 150yd zero, which is as slightly more than +2" at 100yds and -6.5" at 200yds.

I forgot about the power setting. Mine was set to shoot about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4" high and I had the power the Leupold 3x9 set at 9x. I might have held slightly higher than center but I know I punched center chest. Seeing his test on paper pretty much reassured me what I thought mine would do.

I did shoot my KRB with a 250grain Deep Curl at 150 and 200. I had it zeroed for 150 too but changed it later on. I just might set it back for that this year. I plan to do more shooting with it and my .54 to see what I can get out of them.

I have a 2-7 Redfield Illuminator that was at Scope Service in Tulsa for a year getting overhauled and I thought about putting it only grandson's LK-II for next year. But that dang TRS-25 red dot is so easy to see plus I don't have to worry about him getting scope bit with it, I might leave it on for another year.

Good shooting for 200 yards.
I'm not surprised the loads that sat in the gun for so long impact low. Every time I test a "stored" load, depending on how long they were stored, they lose 5-15% power and always shoots low.

Same is true for pellets left in the speed loader.

Wish I could use a Red dot...
I tried one once, but since I'm color blind, I could only see the red dot on the snow.

Talon - can you see green? Some have that option, unless you're one of those that can't tell when to go at the stoplight. :(

talon_dfa said:
I'm not surprised the loads that sat in the gun for so long impact low. Every time I test a "stored" load, depending on how long they were stored, they lose 5-15% power and always shoots low.

I measure out 110 grains by volume of BH209 and then weigh that amount on my powder scale to duplicate the weights exactly for all my loads. I found that my quick loads stored for a year actually weighed a few grains less the following year. I've always thought that maybe BH209 drys over time . . .

My loads most generally never set around that long, but when they do I don't notice any change in POI. I'll use the speed loaders that I hunted with for my next range session, which I do every year. I don't have any significant change in POI.

I've never used a volume measure with BH, just always used the scale. Gives me something to do... What I do though, is I always seat the bullet hard, averaging 106#. It may be interesting to see if there was a change in POI using a lighter 60# force. Never made the attempt to try it.

ENCORE50A said:
My loads most generally never set around that long, but when they do I don't notice any change in POI. I'll use the speed loaders that I hunted with for my next range session, which I do every year. I don't have any significant change in POI.

I've never used a volume measure with BH, just always used the scale. Gives me something to do... What I do though, is I always seat the bullet hard, averaging 106#. It may be interesting to see if there was a change in POI using a lighter 60# force. Never made the attempt to try it.

I would have to agree with you also. I have loads in for months and have not seen that problem at all. Since you are using BH I would think the only thing that might change you POI would be really cold temperatures. But, then temperature can have that effect on any nitro based powder. Think the snipers on here could tell about their compensation for temperature.

I shoot T7 and have had guns loaded for months and really see no shift in POI unless I get into the sub zero weather and shoot the longer ranges - out to 100-150 not a problem hunting.

tpcollins said:
I found that my quick loads stored for a year actually weighed a few grains less the following year. I've always thought that maybe BH209 drys over time . . .
What if? Hmm? Does the energy change? POI change? Interesting, if nothing else it is.

Talon - can you see green? Some have that option, unless you're one of those that can't tell when to go at the stoplight . . .
Sorry I didn't see this earlier...
I can see red and green, but not on a green or brown background... If Sun is shining on stop light, can't always see either... I do know green is on the bottom and red on the top :)

Sorry I didn't see this earlier...
I can see red and green, but not on a green or brown background... If Sun is shining on stop light, can't always see either... I do know green is on the bottom and red on the top :)

Same here, but I must be more green deficient. I can see the red dot on the deer, but not the green dots.

Blood on brown leaves is VERY hard for me when it dries. Still a little hard to see when it is still wet.

Not always, I have seen green on top and red on bottom in GA! Go figure.

Somebody installed it upside down then. FHWA's MUTCD shows that the red should be at the top of a vertical signal and at the left of a horizontal signal.

It makes sense to have it be consistent especially in the case of people with chromatic visual disabilities.

Back