Thinking of trying a muzzleloader. Suggestions welcome

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to be having trouble finding a nearby supply of powder. What impact will pellets have on the suggested loads?

My Disc shot pellets very well. But only some range time will tell you whether the load changes a lot or not...

Well, shotgun season is over so I geared up the Knight tonight. I slapped a 1.5-4.5 x 32mm cats eye scope on it. I purchased almost everything that was suggested, so I'm off to the range tomorrow with 777 2FG loose and TC shockwave 250 gr with 209 primers. I'm planning on starting with 100 gr charges.

Does that sound about right? If you never hear from me again, you know I effed up.

MAYBE START OUT AT 80-85GRS 777 POWDER SINCE 777 BURNS HOTTER THAN SAY PYRODEX.REMEMBER TO SWAB BETWEEN SHOTS WHEN USING 777 DUE TO A CRUD RING THAT WILL FORM CLOSE TO THE BREECH PLUG AFTER 1 SHOT.GOOD LUCK AT THE RANGE AN POST SOME PICS OF YOUR NEW OUTFITT.

Swab it out? Do you mean just run a dry patch through it, or actually clean the barrel between each shot? If I had to clean the barrel between each shot in the field, that could be a pain.

Can you leave a charge and sabot in the barrel overnight during the season, or should it be removed every night?

When swabbing just pop a patch in your mouth getting it damp then swab
use short strokes until you reach the breech plug take patch turnning over and do the same thing then you can run a dry patch down the barrle.

You can leave a load in over night but I always push my load out becouse I like to make sure I have a fresh load and I don't like to leave my gun in my truk over night, I use to leave my gun loaded for days at a time and keep my gun in my truck untill I had it missfire on a nice buck a few years ago.

Latest posts

Back