Thinking of trying a muzzleloader. Suggestions welcome

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martlet

Reaction score
I'm thinking of picking up a muzzleloader for the deer season in December. I've never owned or fired one. There's an amazing amount of information on this site, but not being familiar with them makes some of it hard to understand. What suggestions would you give to a newbie who's looking to break into the sport? Any gun suggestions? Places to get them?

Martlet

:D First off let me WELCOME you to the forum.
You will find a lot of really great fellers here on this forum , not all of us agree on every thing but that is OK , but one thing that we all agree on is that muzzleloaders are VERY VERY ADDICTING.

Most all ML companys today are building pretty good guns .
( TOP OF THE LINE COMANYS INCLUDE - Savage - KNIGHT - TC ) ( MIDDLE LINE COMPANYS - NEF -Traditions - Cva - Winchester - Remmington )

Buying a muzzleloader depends on a few things, How much you want to spend - witch one fills good to you when you sholder it - what type of gun you like INLINES OR TRADITIONAL ( IE. ) break action - bolt action - swing block action or side lock! 50 cal. being the most popaler .

Some states do not allow the use of scopes - saboted bullets or smokeless powders or 209 primmers , check your state regulations .

IF YOU CHECK YOUR STATE REGS. AND LET US KNOW WHAT STATE YOU LIVE IN AND YOUR DOLLOR AMOUNT YOU ARE WANTING TO SPEND WE CAN NARROW SOME THINGS DOWN FOR YOU.

PLEASE LET US KNOW!!!! :yeah:

LUNGBUSTER1
Laconia IN
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good Luck & Safe Shooting

Martlet - welcome to the forum. It is really good to have you here.

This sport is something that really gets a hold of you. You will find that once you start, it is hard to not go crazy with all the aspects of the sport. As for a good quality rifle, stick with some of the major brands and you should be fine.

Some good rifle makers (mass production) are Knight, Savage, NEF and Thompson Center. Some people might look at such brands as CVA, Traditions, Winchester, Remington, New Frontier, etc. There are reasons some people avoid these brands. Others have no problem buying and using them. Then there are rifles that are no longer in production like White, A&H and I am sure others. While they are good rifles, it is possible you might run into service and part problems with them.

If you could tell us what hunting situations you will encounter and what state you will be hunting.. as well as a dollar figure you wish to stay around. I am sure that some excellent recommendations can be made.

Get out to some of the sporting good stores. Look over the different brands, Handle them. Shoulder them. See which ones appeal to you.

Good luck.. and again it is good to have you on the forum.

I typed out a long reply this morning, but the mods accidentally deleted it. Here's a Reader's Digest version.

I live and hunt in Massachusetts. Inline muzzleloaders are legal, as are scops, 209 ignition systems, and pretty much anything else. They don't allow hinges or barrels under 18" or dual barrels. Black Powder or authorized substitute only.

I'll be hunting deer, and not over any wide-open spaces. I'd like to get a decent starter rifle. I don't have a budget, really (I set a limit on a bow I bought this year, then doubled it). I'd like to buy the rifle and outfit it for under $500. If this is unreasonable, then I'll go higher. However, if I can buy a decent rifle for well under $500, even better. That's one of the reasons I'm considering used.

Since this is Massachusetts, not many stores carry firearms, let alone muzzleloaders. Additionally, many things can be hard to order online. I can't even order reloading supplies online (bullets, powder, or primers), so I'll have to get something fairly easy to obtain supplies for. I'm heading over to Dick's to check out what they have. I believe they have 3 in stock now that I can put to my shoulder.

OK now we have a better understanding of your state regs. and your $ amount now we can help to serve you better! I take no hinges as a Break action gun but I could be wrong. ( My Wife says I useally am)

You can pertches some very good inlines for under $500 and I mean some top of the line guns.

All of these guns can be bought for less than $400 NEW!
KNIGHT Rolling block
Knight Disc Extreme
Knight Bighorn
TC TRIUMPH
TC OMEGA
CVA Kodiak pro Mag
Rem Genesis

POWDER : ( Loose )- 777 2fg Or Pyrodex RS
PRIMERS : Winchester 777 209
BULLETS : 250-300gr TC Shockwave - 240-300gr hornady - 250-290gr Knight/Barns spitfife TMZ - 250-300gr Hornady SST

SCOPE : Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn 3x9x40 4" E/R Muzzleloader scope.
Nikon Buckmaster Or Pro Staff 3x9x40 3.6" E/R

SCOPE BASE & RINGS : Any good steel base & rings MED Hight will do.

ONCE YOU DESIDE ON AND PICK UP EVERY THING LET US KNOW. AND WE WILL BE VERY HAPPY TO HELP YOU START TO WORK UP SOME LOADS.

KEEP US UPDATED!!!! :yeah:

LUNGBUSTER1

With that kind of spending power, you have a choice... You can buy a inexpensive "starter" rifle like a CVA Wolf or CVA Buckhorn Magnum and they will probably work just fine out to 100 yards for you. Or you can spend a little more and get a rifle that will last the rest of your life. Not that the Wolf or Buckhorn Magnum might not be able to do that as well.

I have a CVA Staghorn Magnum that I paid $89.99 for. And the barrel to stock fit is very poor. But the rifle is a great shooting rifle. So what can I say.

For instance, there is a nice Knight Wolverine 209 with a 22" barrel NIB for $100.00 on one of the Auction Sites. This would be an excellent rifle for the beginner or the serious hunter. An excellent tree stand rifle, and still with a scope able to make the long range shots.

With your price range you could afford one of the new Triumph Muzzleloaders or a Knight Rolling Block. So you have a lot of options. At least you're not restricted to buying based solely on price.

Thanks! Do you need a special muzzleloader scope? I have a few scopes I've used on rifles and shotguns that I'm not using.

The main problem I have is finding a place to purchase these without driving out of state. Many companies won't ship to MA.

NO you don't have to have a special ML scope.

But if you have a Scope with a longer Eye Rel. the better off you are.

DID you go to DICKS if so what kind of guns did they carry?
Did they have any thing that cought your eye?

Check this out www.midsouthshooters.com

LB1

I did go to Dick's. All they had were 3 guns: 2 Traditions and a CVA. They all seemed nice, but I don't really know what I'm looking at.

Martlet

I noticed that you are on the Hunting Net forum also If you scrolle down to guns for sale I see that there is a Knight disc for sale for $170:00 I would Email him and see if that has a 24" or 26" barrle If it dose I would probably offer him $150.00 see if he will take that and then jump on it , very good gun and by the pics. looks like it is in good shape.

I have a Knight disc Extreme and Looove it shoots 1.25" three shot groups at 100yds. all day long.

I shoot 100gr of Loose 777 2fg - A - 290gr Knight spitfire TMZ bullet ,
WIN 777 209 primers , - With a 3x9x40 bushnell dusk & dawn scope :yeah:

For a new gun...a T/C Omega has a huge following and a great reputation for being accurate and reliable. Although some of the Knights are SLIGHTLY more accurate, the Omega is really about the most user friendly muzzleloader on the planet. Quick, easy, accurate loads for it are practically written in stone and the one-piece Warne base/QD rings are a perfect match. That's the one I'd recommend.

lungbuster1 said:
Martlet

I noticed that you are on the Hunting Net forum also If you scrolle down to guns for sale I see that there is a Knight disc for sale for $170:00 I would Email him and see if that has a 24" or 26" barrle If it dose I would probably offer him $150.00 see if he will take that and then jump on it , very good gun and by the pics. looks like it is in good shape.

I have a Knight disc Extreme and Looove it shoots 1.25" three shot groups at 100yds. all day long.

I shoot 100gr of Loose 777 2fg - A - 290gr Knight spitfire TMZ bullet ,
WIN 777 209 primers , - With a 3x9x40 bushnell dusk & dawn scope :yeah:

I picked up this Knight. Thanks for the heads up. I don't know crap about it, but learning is half the fun. Since I can't really check out to many before I buy them (since I'd have to drive forever) I can take a chance at this price.

Now I need to figure out what accessories I need. I have a few decent scopes that I'm not using, so I'll see which one works best.

You guys toss around a bunch of terms I don't fully understand yet. Hopefully, it comes with an owners manual.

CONGRATS :yeah: :applause:

GLAD I COULD HELP YOU OUT :D

OTHER THINGS YOU WILL NEED

POWDER : TRIPLE 7 2FG (LOOSE)

POWDER MEASURE : TC U-VIEW

PRIMERS : WINCHESTER 777 209

BULLETS : TC SHOCKWAVE 250GR & TRY SOME 300GR SW ALSO WITH SUPER GLIDE SABOTS

1 OR 2 PKS OF SPEED LOADERS

CLANING PATCHES

GOOD GUN OIL

STAY AWAY FROM BORE BUTTER IT IS LIKE PUTTING WAX IN YOUR BARRLE

50CAL BRASS BORE BRUSH

TUBE OF BREACH PLUG ANTI-SIEZE GREASE

YOU WILL NOT NEED A 209 PRIMER CAPPER BECOUSE YOUR GUN USES THE DISCS

ALSO I WOULD GET ANOUTHER BREECHPLUG FOR A SPAIRE
I BUY NEW ONES FOR ALL OF MY ML EACH YEAR

ONCE YOU HAVE THIS STUFF LET ME KNOW AND I WILL HELP YOU ON SOME LOADS

YOU CAN PM ME IF YOU LIKE WITH ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE

LB1

GOOD GUN OIL

What's the difference between the one I picked up, and the Knight Disc Elite or Extreme?

Martlet

The only diff in your gun and the Extreme like mine is that your gun shoots the ( orig Orange Disc And has a 24" barrle and a diff breech plug ) My Extreme shoots the red full plastic disc and has a 26" barrle and I also put a Domed breech plug in mine .

Unless there has been a Extreme Convertion kit Instaled in yours, If it has the only diff is the Barrle Leng. I would Email the Feller and see if it is the Orig setup ,Or if it has been Converted with the Extreme Conv. Kit.

The Elite is no longer in prodution

If you Email him let me know what he says

LB1

It came last night, and I finally got around to unpacking it today. It's in beautiful shape, and looks unfired (though he says it was fired a dozen times). Now I need to head off and pick up the rest of my "needs". Why is loose powder suggested over pellets?

Any additions to a shopping list I'm putting together? It came with the plug tool, C tool, a hundred disks, the ram rod, and what I believe is the cleaning attachment.

Well I have a Knight Disc and it is a good rifle. Don't loose that C-tool as that is how you take the bolt apart. There is tricks to making all that work. Perhaps Knight has a manual you can down load.

My Disc likes powder. The more the better. I shoot 110-120 grains of loose powder and a 300 grain XTP. It also shoots Nosler Partitian 260 grain real well. I have also shot Saber tooth conicals out of it in 300 grain.

Good luck with your rifle.

Thanks! It came with the manuals and the video. I made the mistake of disassembling it with the instructions on the video, before I thoroughly read the manual. It looks much easier to remove the striker assembly while the bolt is still in the rifle.

Back