This could happen to you!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X-ring

Reaction score
This is a ctg. rifle but I thought it might be of interest. Brand spanking new. First time at the range. High dollar Christensen Arms carbon fiber wrapped barrel. Breaking in the barrel using the "shoot, clean, shoot, clean" process.
Every thing was going well until the cleaning jag unscrewed itsself in the barrel and went unnoticed by the shooter when he withdrew the cleaning rod. This was the result on the next shot. Saw this personally and got the story straight from the shooter. NO MATTER WHAT TYPE OF FIREARM YOU ARE SHOOTING........PAY ATTENTION! X

Attachments

• Pic 18_Jun_2017 Barrel (3).jpg
    Pic 18_Jun_2017 Barrel (3).jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
i knew a fellow that had a bullet stick and used a drop rod to knock it out. same thing but he lost his right eye.
another guy i did not know done the exact same thing and left the cleaning rod in the barrel. i heard he did not survive..

my best friend had a squib load shooting trap. the wad stuck in the barrel almost to the muzzle. he heard all the BB's exit and fall in front of him. the next shot mushroomed the barrel just like a cartoon. he cut off the mushroom and had a dandy rabbit gun.

this past week end at the match i head an odd story. the shooter pulled the trigger and nothing happened. when he opened the bolt the cartridge went off. the bolt lodged in his shoulder on his lung.

we play with very high pressures and bad things can happen if something goes wrong.

Those bore obstructions will get you every time and possibly kill you if you’re not diligent . What ever goes in the barrel for cleaning or shooting make sure it’s out before you fire the next shot. If a fired shot sounds muffled stop and check the bore for a obstruction. I had that happen once and found a bullet half way down the barrel on my 358 blr. If I fired another round before clearing the bore I might not be here today.

I can't remember if I've told this story on this forum, long story short. Death in the family. I inherited a Winchester 1906 22LR pump action break down rifle. Inspection revealed 3, .22 bullets lodged in the barrel. Further disassembly produced 1 complete .22 short, loose in the mechanism.

I don't think I told this story before at least not on this forum. Had a friend who is hunting antelope probably 20 years ago with a 7MM Remington magnum and when he was out shooting at one and ran out of shells, he hollered at his wife, who was sitting in the pickup , to hand him a shell as he had wounded an animal. She just reached in a box that was on the dash and handed him a shell, and he dropped it in and pulled the trigger and it was a 308 Winchester. It locked up the bolt, it knocked him down and he missed the animal. Upon getting the bolt pounded open he discovered the case, a ruptured 308 case with the primer pocket enlarged and brass pushed into the injector cavity. He gave it to me some years ago to show hunter safety kids. That 308 bullet went down that 7M barrel some ways squeezed down, because it wasn't in the barrel and he had shot it. It tells you something, always carry the shells that fit the gun you have and don't depend on somebody like your wife that has no idea of one gun from another. The only outcome I know of was that the fella become awful gun shy when he would pull the trigger he often flinched.
Upon investigating how that shell could fire in such a mismatch, it appeared that the 308 bullet was large enough to rest against the edge of the rifling and that made the shell long enough that would extend back to the bolt for the firing pin to shoot it
squint

A friend of mines father was said to have loaded his shotgun with a tube of Chapstick while in a frenzy, fortunately there were no reprecussions.
Lesson is ,mistakes can be made in a frenzy, be prepared so the possibility of substitution is not there. Avoid frenzy , always a fan of the one good shot.

A friend of mines father was said to have loaded his shotgun with a tube of Chapstick while in a frenzy, fortunately there were no reprecussions.
Lesson is ,mistakes can be made in a frenzy, be prepared so the possibility of substitution is not there. Avoid frenzy , always a fan of the one good shot.
There's a punchline there somewhere.

In teaching Hunter Education Classes, we usually have a destroyed shotgun barrel that's been donated by a local gunsmith. In most cases, a 20 gauge shell had been loaded before a 12 causing an obstruction in the barrel. The lesson we try to teach is to not mix ammo in your pocket. Only carry the one that you're using.

Walt

To me, one of the biggest dangers at a public range is that guy who always just wants to talk your ear off while you are just trying to concentrate on the task at hand. (Maybe just me? I live in a way too populated area) Away from the bench, sure. But while on the bench.....

Years ago I lived in Pocatello working for the railroad and always had my old Savage 24 in 20/30-30 on a gun rack in my old 53 Chevy pickup. I had a brakeman job to Wyoming and didn’t get back home for nearly a month. Single guys get tagged with jobs like that. So I’m trying to fire up the truck but the battery was dead so I asked a guy to jump me and he asked me about the rifle on the rack. It was a beater utility gun but decent pheasant, rabbit or near shot deer gun.

I hadn’t shot it in about two months but this guy wanted it so I traded two tires and a new battery for it. He wanted to shoot it so we ran out to the lower end of the UPRR yard I gave him two 30-30 rounds so he could shoot at some old cans. He broke the action looked down the bores and said hey take a look. No light in the 20 bore ? Anyway we found the barrel was a home to a mud wasp with a mud plug so tight we had to drive it out with his cleaning rod. Close call stupid mistake.
Rick

Latest posts

Back