Thompson Center Customer Service

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphaburnt

Reaction score
You may remember me posting about a TC Endeavor that my cousin had bought, asking about rings and bases. Well, after hunting with his brand new gun Wednesday for the first time and while hunting yesterday- he finds rust specks all over the trigger guard (Stainless steel gun, mind you). It does not appear anywhere else and appears isolated to that trigger guard, he is extremely upset. He is so angry, he stated he would just want to get a refund and buy another rifle. Im sure he will come around though. Advice please, for those of you in the TC fold, how is the best way to reach them and approach fixing this matter? Any tips or suggestions welcome

MQ32shooter said:
You may remember me posting about a TC Endeavor that my cousin had bought, asking about rings and bases. Well, after hunting with his brand new gun Wednesday for the first time and while hunting yesterday- he finds rust specks all over the trigger guard (Stainless steel gun, mind you). It does not appear anywhere else and appears isolated to that trigger guard, he is extremely upset. He is so angry, he stated he would just want to get a refund and buy another rifle. Im sure he will come around though. Advice please, for those of you in the TC fold, how is the best way to reach them and approach fixing this matter? Any tips or suggestions welcome
Just sell me the gun cheap :oops: I am sure they will take care of it, just call them on Monday.

have him pick up some Flitz Polishing compound. it should help keep rust off for 6 months, or so the company says.It runs about $10 per tube.

billyzink, thank you
FG, in the interest of keeping my teeth, I will not pass that on to him. thanks anyway.

SS isnt rust proof, it needs to be cared for and oiled just the same. Its just a lot easier to see VS Blued.

Heres some info from another forum:You are perfectly fine with your Blue barrel. In fact T/C stainless which has a bead blasted finish is the fastest stainless to form rust spots of any gun I have used.

Your option might be to have Doug Birch place his "Weathershield" coating on your barrel at a time of your choosing. Nothing harmful will break thru that coating.

You just keep the inside of the barrel clean...and shoot the newer BH-209 powder than is non-corrosive.

Doc

The thing about it, he had only shot BH209 in it and only about 12-15 shots. I believe the metal in that trigger guard or the process used to treat it is suspect.

A Stanless Steel gun will rust just like any steel will,It just takes longer for it to do it.Some peps try to clean stanless stell,with a plain old steel wool.If one does that .The fibers from the plain old steel wool will embedd in the pores of the metal and those fibers be what rust,but make the stanless steel looks as it is what rusted.If one use steel wool to clean Stanless Steel then one should use ONLY STANLESS STEEL WOOL
MQ32shooter said:

MQ32shooter said:

The T/C rifles are known for the rust specks forming. You must wipe the rifle down after use or coat with car wax while hunting in the colder weather with loarge temperature swings that will cause the metal to sweat.

For a long term hunting rifle I would have Doug Birch "Cerokote" the rifle for you and your brothers worries are over.

The reason T/C does not offer a Weathershield" rifle in the Pro hunter or Endeavor line-up is the cost of the application adds to much to the retail price.

If the rust spots are annoying to your brother have T/C re-apply the bead blast finish.

Chocdog

Back