Thompson Center Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TScottW991

Reaction score
The mailman came by the house yesterday evening.   :D  The Thompson Center Hawken I won on gun broker last week came in.  I couldn't be happier with the condition of the rifle.  The wood, metal and bore are all in great shape.  

Not the best picture.....

imagejpg3_zps619cf919.jpg

A closer up pic of the wood and color case hardening....

imagejpg4_zps8dcd240f.jpg

After looking, asking and calling stores I finally found a semi-local gun powder dealer.  He carries Goex in either FFg or FFFg.  I went up that way this morning to pick up a pound of FFg.  Then off to the range...

imagejpg1_zpsc773d965.jpg

I drove on over to the national forest range in Blacksburg, Va to shoot the new Hawken.  Much to my dismay I found this when I got there....   :x 

imagejpg2_zpsaaaa41b7.jpg

I'm on a waiting list for a private range club.  I can't wait until I can become a member.  Dang, I hate living in the city.  I sure miss being able to shoot in my backyard.

TScottW99,

Didn't see the caliber listed, but you can also use GOEX 3FG, just reduce printed loads by 15%. If the book says, 100 grains of FFG, then use 85 grains of FFFG to get virtually same velocity and energy. If starting from scratch, start at 40 grains and work up in either five grain or ten grain intervals.

Looking at the hammer and rear sight design, I think your rifle is pre-1986.

If you want to keep Virginia "Green" ($$$$$):lol:, for muzzle loading supplies, give Troy Roope a call at 434-993-3557 in Concord, VA.
http://www.stonewallcreekoutfitters.com/ He holds national records in bench-rest competition, as does his family members.

There are two possibilities in the Roanoke area. One is the Roanoke Rifle & Pistol Club at http://www.roanokerifle.com/ They shoot a multitude of events, including black powder cartridge rifle silhouette matches, well-known among East and SE BPCR shooters.

The other is out in the country in the Floyd area. Contact Randy Weeks of the Big Lick Longrifles Club. I have been to their range for many years to shoot there in their matches. Check the NMLRA's Charter Clubs in VA for Randy's Club at: http://nmlra.org/business-directory/wpbdm-category/virginia/

Nice folks there.

Join the NMLRA online. All this info came from them.

Hope this helps,

Buck Buchanan
Field Rep-NC 
NMLRA

Thanks, I appreciate the information! The Hawken is a .50 and is pre-warning label.  The serial number is prefixed by the letter K, meaning a kit gun (I think) 

I'm on the waiting list for the Ridge Rifle club in Botetourt county.

TScottW99 said:
I drove on over to the national forest range in Blacksburg, Va to shoot the new Hawken.  Much to my dismay I found this when I got there....   :x 

imagejpg2_zpsaaaa41b7.jpg
There must be some mighty lazy FEDERAL workers over there not to have finished by now. 3 months should be enough time to make it climate controlled. :scratch: :thumb down:

Nice piece and you now can be as infected as the rest of us....You will find there is a wealth of knowledge here....And now you can start the journey....

YMHS
Hilljack

That rifle is a real locker. Hope she shoots as good as she looks. GOOD LUCK WITH HER........

Ray........... :thumbs up:

Yep a looker indeed! Its deff. a kit gun from the looks of the rounded nose at the foward lock section but in all honestly, I think it looks better than the production tc rifles, especially the color. Who ever did it, did a great job and kept it clean.

Now get out and shoot it!

Oooh, that's right... Public shooting ranges :Hide:

Latest posts

Back