Thor bullets in optima won’t fit?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudyk

Reaction score
Got a sizing pack from Thor, I can’t even get the .50 to start down the barrel. I have heard good things about these bullets. Im going in a different direction now though, I would hate to be trying cram one of these down for a follow up shot. Any suggestions for a Colorado legal bullet. The power belts I have go down no problem
Thanks for any input

Got a sizing pack from Thor, I can’t even get the .50 to start down the barrel. I have heard good things about these bullets. Im going in a different direction now though, I would hate to be trying cram one of these down for a follow up shot. Any suggestions for a Colorado legal bullet. The power belts I have go down no problem
Thanks for any input
If you got Thors sizing pack & the smallest dia won't load without excessive force, the only way you'll be able to use them are if you have a bullet press & an adjustable sizing die & run them through that until you can load them. I don't understand why the smallest dia is still too big. They are great bullets. If you have a dial caliper, measure the dia of bullets that do load properly, then you'll have an idea of where you'll need to be with sizing the thors or getting other bore riders.

They are in stock. The loose tip thing is no big deal. Several of us have bought and shot a bunch of them. Haven’t seen a loose tip yet. They will shoot just fine without the tip or superglue it if you find a loose one. Can’t beat the price.

Thanks for any input
I'm sorry to be reading of your problem. I shoot the .503 Thor in my Optima with truly great accuracy. One inch four shot group at 100 yds. I've always thought the muzzy industry should have standard bore tolerances. Say .500-.502. Any thoughts on this for further discussion?

There must have been a H^%ll of a lot of seconds. I bought 20 packs quite a while ago and know a bunch of guys who did the same. The word seems to be spreading and they still have them in stock. Amazing
I hear you! I’ve bought 15 packs or so. One day soon they’ll be gone and we will all wish we’d bought a few more…..

I had this problem when I first bought my Optima. Thor made a bullet called K design. I don’t know if they still make it. I bought a ton of them a few years ago. I don’t know if they still make them after they sold. They work great.

Attachments

• 3627EABB-E5A8-42D1-B1BE-AE90739B3AAF.jpeg
    3627EABB-E5A8-42D1-B1BE-AE90739B3AAF.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • B967CB56-F4FA-4BB1-AF47-A4E0E1400B8A.jpeg
    B967CB56-F4FA-4BB1-AF47-A4E0E1400B8A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
You could try the Barnes 54 caliber expander mz. The bullet is .500. Throw away the sabot, load the bullet on an MMP ballistic sub bridge, or wad of your choice. Great accuracy, colorado legal, great bullet. I like the 275gr, it also comes in 325.
Good luck

If you got Thors sizing pack & the smallest dia won't load without excessive force, the only way you'll be able to use them are if you have a bullet press & an adjustable sizing die & run them through that until you can load them. I don't understand why the smallest dia is still too big. They are great bullets. If you have a dial caliper, measure the dia of bullets that do load properly, then you'll have an idea of where you'll need to be with sizing the thors or getting other bore riders.
what caliber you shooting

I shot some of the BOR Locks today (see other thread) and did run into a few in one pack that did have loose tips. Secret I think is to check them before loading and use a proper well-fitting jag (one that presses on the bullet not the tip) when loading. I used a jag that wasn’t quite right and it pulled a tip off when I withdrew the ramrod. I shot it anyway and the tipless bullet went right into the same group with the others on the target. They have shot quite well for me.

Back