Sized to bore bullet followup shot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobRed

Reaction score
Last time I was at the range I was messing around with some Thor bullets that were sized to my barrel. I was shooting triple seven and I found loading a second shot without a really good swabbing to be almost impossible. Even swabbed the bullets were pretty hard going down.

Is there a trick to do this more easily? I slugged the bore when it was totally shiny clean, should I maybe size down the bullet? Does shooting this style of bullet pretty much require BH209?

For shooting from the bench I don’t totally mind, but if I’m gonna be hunting, I want a reasonably accessible follow up shot.

Mostly crud ring, but definitely more resistance all the way down.

Maybe just swab more, I don’t think I could get a followup shot without swabbing.

I shot Thors last year in CO with BH209. I sized to load on a fouled barrel and noted that they were still a little “sticky” going down. I think with 777 you’ll really probably want to size them a little smaller (and maybe knurl them up a tad) so you can easliy load on fouled barrel. A .50 adjustable sizer is just the ticket.

I shot Thors last year in CO with BH209. I sized to load on a fouled barrel and noted that they were still a little “sticky” going down. I think with 777 you’ll really probably want to size them a little smaller (and maybe knurl them up a tad) so you can easliy load on fouled barrel. A .50 adjustable sizer is just the ticket.

Do recommend a specific sizer? Hanks makes one that looks nice

I have the Hankins .45 and .50.

Question about the sizing process.. on the YouTube video I see Jeff Hankins sizing the bullet little by little to get an exact fit. Once you get that adjustment can you just keep it there and run the rest of the bullets through? Or do you need to sneak up on the right size one by one?

Question about the sizing process.. on the YouTube video I see Jeff Hankins sizing the bullet little by little to get an exact fit. Once you get that adjustment can you just keep it there and run the rest of the bullets through? Or do you need to sneak up on the right size one by one?
Yes, you should be able to run a batch of the same bullets all through once you find the right setting. With some bullets you may have a little “spring back” so it doesn’t hurt to check to make sure they are still the correct size down the road.

With the Thors, you are just sizing the skirt so they should stay sized properly once you run them through on the correct setting. If you happen to size one too small you can flare the skirt out manually (this has been discussed in other threads).

my .500 go down a clean barrel with one finger. Too loose imo. the .501 is so tough, I stop part way down. So I went with the .500. not easy to find the "perfect" size with these bullets. If you have not done it already, try a sizing pack and see if you can go down a size without being too loose... otherwise, count your blessings.

I don't think you can beat the advice already given here, but if you can find a "cooler" 209 it could reduce the crud ring from what I hear. I have a small sample size of primers and they are both pretty hot so I can't really say if that will work or not.

Do recommend a specific sizer? Hanks makes one that looks nice
The Thors are solid copper. I dont believe a sizer will work on solid copper... but if I am wrong I would certainly be interested so chime in please.

The Thors are solid copper. I dont believe a sizer will work on solid copper... but if I am wrong I would certainly be interested so chime in please.

I don’t have experience sizing… But measuring Thors with a caliper the size difference from .500 -.501 -.502 ect come from the flare of the skirt. Not the slug it’s self (I’m sure there’s a technical term I’m missing here)

I could see a sizing die being able to shrink that thin skirt down.

The skirt is the only part that differs among their sizes. The body of the bullet on all of them that I’ve measured is ~ .50”. This is a “.502”.

E404E529-C910-4B9F-9F47-4639E9992509.jpeg

my .500 go down a clean barrel with one finger. Too loose imo. the .501 is so tough, I stop part way down. So I went with the .500. not easy to find the "perfect" size with these bullets. If you have not done it already, try a sizing pack and see if you can go down a size without being too loose... otherwise, count your blessings.
You could try knurling. About 2 years ago I got a nice adjustable knurler from Corbin. Maybe someone in this forum would have one for cheap.

Attachments

• Bullrt_Knurling_Tool_HCT-2_Corbin_Bought_19-08-21____ (7).jpg
    Bullrt_Knurling_Tool_HCT-2_Corbin_Bought_19-08-21____ (7).jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 1
  • Knurling_Tool_Corbin_After_Base_Painting_2019-08-30 (4).JPG
    Knurling_Tool_Corbin_After_Base_Painting_2019-08-30 (4).JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Back