Thor Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsteurrys

Reaction score
I have been thinking about using my Knight .50 DISC Elite this year as it has not been out of the Safe in over a decade. I got the Thor Sizing Kit in the Mail on Thursday. What is everyone's experience with these bullets? Do you have any favorite BH209 loads that you are willing to share? Still trying to decide what to do.

I shoot the 300 grn Thor with my CVA Optima with fantastic results. 100 grns Black Horn, short smooth Harvester sabot and Federal 209A primer. A favorite load of mine.

The .501” 250 Gr Thor with 110 Grs by Volume of BH 209 has worked well in my Rem 700 ML & TC Encore

I bought a Thor sizing pack just to size my barrel. Got the info and ended up shooting the sample that fit.

Same poi as my t/c cheap shot. I think they are capable bullets however I now run makers copper bullets .45 cal. in a crush rib sabot on a cva wolf. It's a bit cheaper or slightly more I forget but no copper riding on my rifling.

How’d the sizing kit work for you? On my CVA optima, the .500 went in very easily, and showed minimal rifling engagement. The .501 was very tight. Almost got stuck! It did show nice rifling though. C6411EAC-FF9D-4E73-BD21-272C8EE6F38A.jpeg

How’d the sizing kit work for you? On my CVA optima, the .500 went in very easily, and showed minimal rifling engagement. The .501 was very tight. Almost got stuck! It did show nice rifling though. View attachment 15597

Extremely easy. Similar results on my cva wolf. .50 cal was a nice fit. The next size up and it was NO way. Wouldn't even start down the barrel.

The one that fits the barrel is the one. The skirt on the back expands to form a tight seal and engages the rifling once fired. Like an airgun pellet.

Makes me wonder about using copper bullets in modern arms and the danger because they may not be sized as accurately.

My Traditions Vortek sized .502. Will be shooting the 250 and 300gr soon.
100, 110 and 120 gr of BH209
The sizing pack can be got for free. Paying $2 a bullet.

Last edited:
My Knight Ultralight is a .501, and my Optima is a .500.

Note the ring on each bullet nose in the picture from the loading jag. I got the same thing, so now I use a conical pointed tip jag to load. I’m sure that is also deforming the bullets to some extent as well, but it is down in the base of the cavity in the hollow point.

I wonder what effect that scored ring has on flight characteristics?

Note the ring on each bullet nose in the picture from the loading jag. I got the same thing, so now I use a conical pointed tip jag to load. I’m sure that is also deforming the bullets to some extent as well, but it is down in the base of the cavity in the hollow point.

I'd bet its not as much as you'd think. Given the low velocities and heavier bullets you probably wont see any accuracy issues til you reach out a few hundred yards, as you might on a smaller caliber rifle.

I'd bet its not as much as you'd think. Given the low velocities and heavier bullets you probably wont see any accuracy issues til you reach out a few hundred yards, as you might on a smaller caliber rifle.

I wouldn’t think it has a noticeable effect. Still, I ordered Thor’s jag. I’m sure a spin jag would also eliminate any issues.

Back