Ignition system

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a knight mountaineer 45 cal sml muzzleloader.One guy redid the bolt face to hold the 209 primer and a new breech plug to seal in up.No problem with leakage or not firing when I pull the trigger.I have short sausage like fingers and arthritis in my hands pretty good.When I do shoot my gun and have to reload,I drop primers 3-6 times before I can get it in the slot on the bolt head.Now the guy that built the gun is pretty reputable gunsmith.Its not him that is the problem.I am looking at a way to load the gun without losing my primers and get it done with one attempt.I have seen different times of ignitions from modules to pistol and rifle casings used for igniton.I even went and bought a Murphy base with the slot for better access to the bolt head.Still the same problem.Open for suggestions from any and all gunsmiths and hunters.Thank you.If I do see deer this season here in Indiana,I hope I don.t have to do a follow up shot.Our season runs to the 19th of Dec.

A few guys have made tools to get a 209 into the bare primer bolt face. Bestill used a 6mm boxed end wrench he ground down to fit if i remember. Others used a tooth brush handle with a hole drilled in it. Knight sells a small loading tool but with shipping its super expensive for a little piece of plastic.

Almost $18 for 3 of them on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/KNIGHT-RIFLES-Primer-Capper-Decapper/dp/B01MA5HNUV

Found a simple solution.Had a set of eye repair screw drivers and small enough to get in the primer slot,they are magnetic and holds the primer just perfect until I pull the screw off of it.Never knew 209 primers were magnetic.Saved myself some money.Just got to put on the old thinking cap sometimes.

Here is another thought. I just made a loading tool from Leather

MntCapper.jpg

MntCapper-1.jpg

My brother has a short 6mm boxed in wrench I will use the rest of our muzzleloadingseason here in Indiana.It ends on the 19th of this month.But then I am going to look into a module system or a rifle cartridge system.Something that just drops in.Thanks for all the ideas.

No - no, you insert the new primer in the face of the bolt - then pull the leather off the primer close the bolt and you are ready to shoot!
Oh, I see. I was thinking that you put the primer in a pocket and couldn’t see how you got the leather off the primer but I understand now how you are using it. Thanks for educating me. I’m not very familiar with bolt inlines

Latest posts

Back