THOUGHTS ON KNIGHT .52 EXTREME

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, but the 54cal has never been the majority of the hunting/shooting populations favorite, nor will the 52cal ever be. They have their place with some, but its just simple economics, if you build a product and it doesn't sell, you change products or go under.
I get that encore50a but that doesnt excuse them for twist rate changes , bullet development or even sealing up their breeches .
America is gettin its hiney handed to it by others that are willing and able to do more and better . The japs constantly update and change gears in the middle of tje stream to stay on top of the latest and greatest in their fields . Its costs them to do that but just look who is buying us up and shuttin us down ?? Resting on your laurels is a great way to go nowhere fast .
So maybe not evrrybody has a need for a 54 , did the gimmick REALLY change that ?? Hell no !!! Sure screwed us though .

I get that encore50a but that doesnt excuse them for twist rate changes , bullet development or even sealing up their breeches .
America is gettin its hiney handed to it by others that are willing and able to do more and better . The japs constantly update and change gears in the middle of tje stream to stay on top of the latest and greatest in their fields . Its costs them to do that but just look who is buying us up and shuttin us down ?? Resting on your laurels is a great way to go nowhere fast .
So maybe not evrrybody has a need for a 54 , did the gimmick REALLY change that ?? Hell no !!! Sure screwed us though .
And now barnes dont make the bullet that MADE the 52 !!! That 375 gr was THE KEY.

I have never seen Barnes offer that bullet for sale other than through Knight Rifle. This is one of those times i strongly agree with TB...1-26 twist is a bit slow for that bullet. 1-24 would be so much better. There are several 458s that should perform as well and probably cost much less too.

You can still buy it through Knight https://www.muzzleloaders.com/product/red-hot-52-cal-375-grain-muzzleloader-bullets/

The 325 gr FTX W/110 GR OF BH shoots great in my .52, 1st load I tried was 110 gr seems to be a pretty universal load in a lot of my muzzleloaders that shoot it with a variety of bullets.. plus the fact that I have over 800 of the .325gr .458 FTX means I will be shooting them for a long, long time.
It also shoots the 385 gr .459 GT hp conical with 90 gr BH pretty good out at 100 yds, haven't shot it any further but sure wouldn't want to be a deer on the receiving end of that big hollow point.

I also wish they would make a fast twist .54,I really like the .54 a lot also.

A lot of good discussion in this thread. Now if I can come up with a. 52 myself!

A lot of good discussion in this thread. Now if I can come up with a. 52 myself!

Watch for sales at Knight rifle. They have one often for 52cals at a huge savings. Sometimes on Mountaineers too. Last one was about $600 for a Mountaineer 52cal.

I have never seen Barnes offer that bullet for sale other than through Knight Rifle. This is one of those times i strongly agree with TB...1-26 twist is a bit slow for that bullet. 1-24 would be so much better. There are several 458s that should perform as well and probably cost much less too.

You can still buy it through Knight https://www.muzzleloaders.com/product/red-hot-52-cal-375-grain-muzzleloader-bullets/
For awhile that bullet was no longer available . Good to see it back .
The 458 barnes original 400gr is a pretty good bullet too . Even longer shots out of my 50 . Little tougher than i like but they shoot good for me . Ive heard some have trouble with 1 in 28 with those . Idk i got 1 in 26 currently . Suppose it would help to push them as hard as you can stand it .

I have never tried the 400gr BO. I have shot the 300gr BO and it shoots very well. Its just too dang tough for smoker speeds unless the shot is close. Its also terribly overpriced. The 325gr FTX is a better alternative. Way cheaper and more than enough for deer or elk. I would not even consider the Barnes Original for anything smaller than bison or a mean bear.

I called Knight today, asking about any future sales they might be having. Right now they have the Disc Extreme on sale for $499. To my door in Michigan for $540. Extra accessories and a box of the 275gr. Bloodlines w/sabots. I personally think I might do better buying from a private owner. After seeing that the one I had bid on went for $340.....damn lack of signal I couldn't bid further.

I called Knight today, asking about any future sales they might be having. Right now they have the Disc Extreme on sale for $499. To my door in Michigan for $540. Extra accessories and a box of the 275gr. Bloodlines w/sabots. I personally think I might do better buying from a private owner. After seeing that the one I had bid on went for $340.....damn lack of signal I couldn't bid further.
You will get one , usually the 52 guns linger for a while, I check gun broker daily , be patient you will get one for the right price

Thanks. I'm gonna keep looking. If you happen to see or hear something pm me!

Thanks,
Greg

There's one on GB now with a straight buy it now price of $4????+shipping. I think better can be done.

It seems like last year they had the Disc Extremes on a buy one get one free. At the regular price it seems like they were around 365.00 each.

They did I bought a Wolverine buy one get one free and a Disc Extreme .52 and ended up with 4 guns, gave 2 away as gifts. May of been year before cant remember for sure.

I might be willing to cast and sell 52 caliber full bore bullets but am at a loss of actual bore diameter. Anyone know what they would need to be sized at to be a proper friction fit in the Knight rifle?

I just bought a mountaineer in .52. I don’t know what the diameter would need to be , but if u start making some I would buy some to try.

Back