Time to Upgrade my Omega to a ????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C Broad Arrow

Another question for you... Does your Omega have the composite black stock? if so you might want to look at this information - that I wrote several years ago... And all of this is just my opinion.

The Omega… A weakness is the black synthetic stock supplied with the gun. The same black stock is provided from the less expensive Z5 model to the more expensive Stainless steel models.

The weaknesses of this stock’ IMO, are the flexible forearm and the shallow recoil lug pockets in the stock. In fact you should inspect these lug pockets each time you take your rifle down for cleaning. These pockets can crack and will allow the barreled action to move on recoil, TC will warranty your stock if these cracks appear. Another thing you should look for in your stock is a polish mark(s) along the barrel channel in the stock. If these marks are appearing, that is the point at which the barrel is making heavier contact with the stock than other places and will cause the POI to move.

It is my opinion that I would prefer a barreled action that fits snugly in the stock with equal pressure on all points along the barrel, in other words fully bedded or a heavier stock that will not flex. This is expensive for a manufacturer to do when producing mass production rifles so for them the least expensive alternative is to produce stocks that provide a free floating barrel.

Normally when you purchase a synthetic Omega the barreled action will fit somewhat snugly in the stock. It will not remain that way over time and even though it might seem snug it is not equal.

There really is not a lot we can do about the flexibility of the stock especially in the forearm, but there are things that can be done to reduce its effects of the forearm pushing on the barrel.

The easiest fix is to float the barrel, move the barrel from contact with the barrel channel in the stock. One of the time tested ways of checking “floating” is to slide a dollar bill under the barrel from the fore-end back to the receiver, leave the ram rod in place.

To float the barrel – in my mind to methods one is much simpler than the other but really both are on the easy side.

Method #1… Simply shim the barreled action up in the stock. I did this for a couple of seasons before I moved to the second easy step. Place a shim in the recoil lug pocket this will lift the action up and cause the barrel to lift in the stock. I made my shims from one of my wife’s Teflon cutting sheets. It is the perfect thickness, and everyone knows the durability of Teflon. Cut the shim to fit snugly in the bottom of the lug pocket punch a hole in the center of the shim for the lug bolt and install the barreled action. You should now be able to easily slide the dollar bill to slide under the barrel to the action. NOTE: because the pockets are so shallow I would not lift the action any higher than the thickness of one of these shims, and I suggest the reinforcement of the lug pockets as discussed later.

Method #2… Sand the barrel channel to fit the barrel. This is not as easy as it sounds but start by sanding the polished marks out of the barreled channel. As you remove these pressure points they will be replaced by other pressure points along the barrel. You will then continue to sand out points until the barrel sits snugly in the stock along its length, and further shooting does not cause further polished points.

Another simple fix you might consider… Look at the recoil pockets in the stock. It is a very simple fix to reinforce the lug pockets. This fix will stop the possible front to back movement of the action and probably stop the cracking of the pockets. I would suggest that you fill the area between the pockets with a fiberglass.

To reinforce the stock lug pockets in the black synthetic stocks - I also created a block to insert between the blocks.

Yes..And I have been wondering about bedding the action and free floating the barrel.

I am sure they made a good business decision. I imagine the cost to produce the Omega, and the price point at wholesale, did not leave a lot of margin in comparison to the the current product line up. In comparing my Omega to a friends Impact I find my gun overall more substantive, although I do like his break action and easier to remove breech plug.

My Omega is stainless and the action is different than his - sturdier is the only way to best way to describe it. But that has more to do with the falling block and does not mean more rugged or better...just different and more costly to produce would be my guess.

So despite the record sales of Omegas, I can see that there are a number of synergies and cost savings to be had in the production of their new models as a result of a common design.

One last question, with regard to the stock would changing to a laminate make any difference?

C Broad Arrow said:
One last question, with regard to the stock would changing to a laminate make any difference?

Just my opinion but the laminate stock is a much better stock. Deeper lug pockets and it is a firmer stock.

sabotloader said:
C Broad Arrow said:

Just my opinion but the laminate stock is a much better stock. Deeper lug pockets and it is a firmer stock.

Thanks...I just have to track one down now. Any idea as to what they are worth?

C Broad Arrow said:
sabotloader said:
C Broad Arrow said:

Thanks...I just have to track one down now. Any idea as to what they are worth?

I do not have a good handle on that one at all.

I can tell you that I lucked out at Cabelas and got a Laminated thumbhole stock for mine with discount for I believe around the $200 mark. This was approximately 5 years ago. Reason I got the discount was that it was 'sitting in the back taking up space'. I thought it was an alright deal. Hope this helps get a rough idea.

NEW222 said:
I can tell you that I lucked out at Cabelas and got a Laminated thumbhole stock for mine with discount for I believe around the $200 mark. This was approximately 5 years ago. Reason I got the discount was that it was 'sitting in the back taking up space'. I thought it was an alright deal. Hope this helps get a rough idea.

Nice...How does it compare to the synthetic original stock?

I cannot honestly tell you, as since I bought and installed it on off season, I had not actually fired her. I know it is a sin, but I do have big plans for shooting her this year. So sorry I cannot give you a definitive answer. But I can and will tell you that it is noticeable in the overall weight and it does feel much more solid though.

Hay guys i am an omega luver ..... in my opinion they shoot better than any other t/c out there . pro hunter , encores , they all have there issues . the nock on omegas is #1 trigger , and 2 weight . but u get used to it . my is a tack driver @ 100 opens up some at 200 .

Any way i have both stocks reason being iss i had the syn dipped in snow camo . because it was used primarily in late season. well no dnow for thre yrs , while hunting a freind said to me i can see that dun comin a mile away . So i got the brain fart to look for a laminated stock they look better anyway . Well i got lucky and found one . it still neds a little work but the synthetic shoots better ....... dont kno why .
Thumb holes r available thru t/c expensive around $300 . the one i picked up is non thumb hole if i cant get it to fit a little better i may just sell it . not sure cause they r tough to find .

just for reference i shoot 115 grn by vol BH 209 with a large rifle primer with a 220 grn dead center bullet (.40)

i am in the process of buildin a break open smokeless ..... just because i guess

If you are having problems with the primers, you might want to look at a Knight Disc extreme. Those red plastic Disc are much easier to handle with cold fingers. I also have the breech plug for my rifle that has the vent installed and allows a bare primer. However for hunting I like the red plastic Disc. Never was a fan of the Omega rifle, didn't care for the trigger or the stock. But I do like my Knight in its walnut stock.

I guess I should update my status on this post.

I have decided that the Omega is a good ml. I am keeping it and have spent the last month playing around with loads and I have to admit that it is scary accurate at 100 yards.

I am also in the process of glass bedding the Omega and I am sure this will only serve to increase the accuracy of the rifle.

Here is the target shot this past weekend.
250 T/C Shockwave
100 Grains of BH 209
Winchester 209 Primer

Latest posts

Back