Tis The Season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m leaving at 0 dark thirty in the morning for my place in Oklahoma to try to get in the first hunt tomorrow evening.

When I’m not turkey hunting, I’ll be looking for morel mushrooms this trip too.
My stuff is all ready. I'll most likely hunt at the Pushmataha Wildlife Management Area up in Clayton. Hopefully the weather will be good.

Well, 5 of us went out for opening day (4/13). Two scored, one missed and me and my best bud only saw hens. Had a great time and it was good to be with friends I hadn't seen since November. 56565 (1).jpeg

After the hunt I had to deal with fixing my trailer roof. Leaked through my antenna (its gone now!). The whole roof will be getting a new rubber coating this spring/summer.

20240413_133437.jpg20240413_133036.jpg

Last edited:
Blind hogs do find acorns… :thumb:
I gambled on where to set up this afternoon, and it paid off. I was about 400 yards northwest at the opposite end of a grove of tree along the river from my camera where I’ve been seeing turkeys, because I know they hang out in those tree. The wind was blowing pretty hard so I was up wind to hopefully get the sound to carry into the tree. I called a few times and after a while got a glimpse of something moving in the shade about 50 yards away. When he came out into the light, I could see it was a tom I’ve been watching that has something wrong with his beard (maybe beard rot), so I just sat still and watched him for about 30 minutes as he milled around my decoys (which I set up way too close). All of a sudden I hear a gobble south of me, but I was afraid to call back because of getting busted. Well, the other tom acted as my live decoy and coaxed this tom within 10 yards. It was a bang and no flop. The 1 1/4 oz #7.5 load dropped him like a hot rock even out of a modified choke.
He has a 9 1/4” beard and 1” and 1 1/8” spurs.
IMG_0679.jpeg
IMG_0688.jpeg
IMG_0689.jpeg

I gambled on where to set up this afternoon, and it paid off. I was about 400 yards northwest at the opposite end of a grove of tree along the river from my camera where I’ve been seeing turkeys, because I know they hang out in those tree. The wind was blowing pretty hard so I was up wind to hopefully get the sound to carry into the tree. I called a few times and after a while got a glimpse of something moving in the shade about 50 yards away. When he came out into the light, I could see it was a tom I’ve been watching that has something wrong with his beard (maybe beard rot), so I just sat still and watched him for about 30 minutes as he milled around my decoys (which I set up way too close). All of a sudden I hear a gobble south of me, but I was afraid to call back because of getting busted. Well, the other tom acted as my live decoy and coaxed this tom within 10 yards. It was a bang and no flop. The 1 1/4 oz #7.5 load dropped him like a hot rock even out of a modified choke.
View attachment 43481
View attachment 43482
View attachment 43483
Congrats on a fun hunt & a find gobbler

Congrats on the success & its wonderful
Well, 5 of us went out for opening day (4/13). Two scored, one missed and me and my best bud only saw hens. Had a great time and it was good to be with friends I hadn't seen since November. View attachment 43478

After the hunt I had to deal with fixing my trailer roof. Leaked through my antenna (its gone now!). The whole roof will be getting a new rubber coating this spring/summer.

View attachment 43479View attachment 43480
I'm glad to hear that you had a good time hunting with your friends.
Sorry about the trailer roof rot. Hope you have a cpl friends around when time comes to fix that mess.

Well, 5 of us went out for opening day (4/13). Two scored, one missed and me and my best bud only saw hens. Had a great time and it was good to be with friends I hadn't seen since November. View attachment 43478

View attachment 43479View attachment 43480
Congrats to all. Too bad you gotta fix that roof.

I was out at first light. Very windy and started raining about 8am. No gobbling that I could hear. By 9:30, I was getting wet, so I packed in. Back out this afternoon. Sunny skies finally but still kinda windy.
No action today. Try again in the morning.

View attachment 43481
View attachment 43482
View attachment 43483
Congrats, that's a great bird. Happy for you.

I’ve had a couple turkey fans in the freezer for several years, because I didn’t know what to do with them and am too cheap to pay a taxidermist. Well, utube is a great resource for learning new stuff, and now I know how to preserve a turkey fan.
I got this years fan and one of the ones from the freezer preserved and ready to mount.
This years first.
IMG_0720.jpeg

This one’s from the freezer, and I’m not sure which turkey it’s from.
IMG_0730.jpeg

Latest posts

Back