Spring 2023, where are you hunting?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Road tripping to Mississippi then Florida. Possibly Alabama and Georgia if MS and FL go better than expected.
Got a total of 9 new hunters here in Illinois I'm going to show them a thing or two if I can. Wisconsin into Minnesota or vice versa. Michigan will be the end of my spring.
Depending on how much time the new hunters want to have boots on the ground Missouri would be nice and Indiana too. We'll have to see how she goes.
Good luck to yall.

Most likely, my home state of Massachusetts. That starts on Monday April 26th and end on Saturday May 22nd. I will add NO SUNDAY HUNTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I will have opening day and four Saturdays to get my two birds.

Perhaps some of my post above did not "sink in".

There are a few caveats included:

Traditional ML only.
May 24 thru June 2023
No time limit on hunt.
Camp near site(s), trout fishing ten steps away.
Camp trailer may be loaned to husband & wife

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

1....Must have a bad memory aka CRS.
2....NO GPS.
3....Unable to savvy maps.
4....Don't know one state from another.
5....No sense of direction.

If you can swear to the five above and get "the drift" you may qualify.

I did not realize " Spring 2023, where will you be hunting" was in the turkey section, I was thinking of it as hunting anything. Sorry.
The above post is a continuation more or less of my other post in this thread and refers to bear hunting.
Yep, too many stumbles over dead fall and going head first into rocks, a few too many backcountry trips on green broke horses, fast trips on ice down steep mountains into trees, AND those are just some of the reasons I may be a little Biden like.:D

Road tripping to Mississippi then Florida. Possibly Alabama and Georgia if MS and FL go better than expected.
Got a total of 9 new hunters here in Illinois I'm going to show them a thing or two if I can. Wisconsin into Minnesota or vice versa. Michigan will be the end of my spring.
Depending on how much time the new hunters want to have boots on the ground Missouri would be nice and Indiana too. We'll have to see how she goes.
Good luck to yall.
Thats really cool that you get around like that. I was fortunate enough growing up to have fam in 3 states that all were only a few hundred miles apart. I got to constantly travel, & hunt & fish in Md Pa & Wva, then into Va. a lot too. I'm stationary these days & bored out of my mind most of the time. Between the Harley, boats, hunting & fishing I got around a whole lot. Good luck with all that hunting & the new hunters.

Going be in South Dakota on Rosebud reservation tag, and prairie state tag. Was looking at Black Hills public land since that tag is over the counter. Any recommendations on lodging near there ?

My wife applied for an Idaho controlled spring turkey tag and then she talked me into applying. Now we both have tags. And I have no ML shotgun.

BRIGHT IDEA, the light bulb lit up.
What do you think of this: if I removed the shot, wads, powder, blew out any existing powder with air hose, put in some 2F, wadding, and shot for a turkey getter out of a 12ga single shot? At least I will be making smoke.

Northern Michigan
This place is littered with the damn things. The flocks will come every day, including toms with beards dragging on the ground. I run the damn things off. They come up under my bird feeders and ship all over the place. NOPE! I've taken a few over the years but, I can't stand eating a wild bird. Oh yeah, I've had people tell me, "Cook it this way and you'll love it". Its like putting lipstick on a pig..............
Depending on where you're going to hunt, you should be successful in the north.

Every day if I or the wife don't run them off ..............

IMG_0860.JPG

IMG_0872.JPG

Last edited:
I'd be making turkey jerky about every day that the came and annoyed me.

This place is littered with the damn things. The flocks will come every day, including toms with beards dragging on the ground. I run the damn things off. They come up under my bird feeders and ship all over the place. NOPE! I've taken a few over the years but, I can't stand eating a wild bird. Oh yeah, I've had people tell me, "Cook it this way and you'll love it". Its like putting lipstick on a pig..............
Depending on where you're going to hunt, you should be successful in the north.

Every day if I or the wife don't run them off ..............

View attachment 32746

View attachment 32747
Sounds like Michigan is the place to be !

My wife applied for an Idaho controlled spring turkey tag and then she talked me into applying. Now we both have tags. And I have no ML shotgun.

BRIGHT IDEA, the light bulb lit up.
What do you think of this: if I removed the shot, wads, powder, blew out any existing powder with air hose, put in some 2F, wadding, and shot for a turkey getter out of a 12ga single shot? At least I will be making smoke.
You can see if it's legal in your area, but take some old 12 shells and cut them down to the brass. Replace the primers in the brass. This is now your ML breech plug. I have also reamed them so the primer just fits easily. File a notch so you can pull it with your fingernail and just use the 1. It's legal in Bama.

Back