Took A Deer With A Patched Round Ball-CNS Shot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hunted on Ft. Sill today with my .50 caliber TC New Englander  rifle.

Distance: 35-40 yards
Bullet: Patched round ball
Cap: Winchester <a href='/tags/11' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #11'>#11</a>
Powder: 90 grains of Black MZ

This spike buck came in about 6:00 pm. Decided on a high shoulder shot. At the shot the buck went down, kicked for about 15 seconds and expired. The ball came apart leaving a 1 1/2" hole in the rib cage. Fragments lacerated the lungs and heart.

tdG85aZ.jpg

Nice job Falcon. Dont tell Colorado you did that as 50 cal isnt good enuf here to kill anything anymore.

Congrats on the buck Floyd! You got a good eating buck right there! That .54 really made a mess of things from the sound of it. That's a good thing!

Thanks, fellas.  

At about 5:30 a big doe came into the field.  Missed her at 75-80 yards.  Think the ball went high.  

Gun  were a .50 caliber.  The rear sight on the .54 is trashed.  Adjustment screw is stripped and it won't hold windage.

That buck was very fat from eating acorns. His stomach was full and he had started to bloat by time i brought the truck around.

Floyd, take a picture of that rear sight and post it sometime. We might be able to fix it up.

That is great. I love to see people still using round ball to hunt they are very effective within their range that is all I use congratulations to you.

Congrats!!!  I can already taste the back straps on the barbie right now.

Nice job, I've been waiting and hoping to see some traditional hunting reports. I always think of the elk on Ft. Sill and somehow forgot all about the whitetail. Excellent report.

That looks like good meat Floyd, nice going. I was told my an old farmer when hunting on his place. "When the shooting stops the work starts" isn't that the truth ....  :lol:

Nice deer. I like the spikes, does and raghorn deer. They taste the best. Never had a head mounted. I just want the meat.

I am going to hunt this year for the first time in about 4 years. I will use a 50 caliber with PB. Either my Renegade or the new to me Pedersoli Scout Rifle. I have killed one deer with a 50 cal BP rifle many years ago. He was just 13 yards away. I didn't lose but just a small amount of meat. Maybe a handful. But it was a quick kill.

"When the shooting stops the work starts" isn't that the truth ....  Laughing
That's a fact.   Killed the deer at 6 pm.   After getting the deer field dressed, tagged, unlocking/re-locking  four military gates, driving to the sportsman's center, checking the deer, coming home  and skinning the deer; it was past 10 pm when the deer went in the cooler box.  

Gave the deer to a friend.  Yesterday morning he called the only processer in Lawton.  The place was full.  Then he mentioned my name and the owner told him to bring the deer.  Good to know my name still means something to someone.

Latest posts

Back