Took the LHR Redemption to the range

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokin' Joe

Reaction score
Went to the range to sight in the Redemption. I'm using BH 209 powder and I mistakenly grabbed the CCI muzzleloader primers instead of the CCI magnum shot shell primers. Only had one partial ignition short round which surprised me out of about 15 shots. About half the primers were very hard to remove and a few needed a tool because I couldn't remove them with my fingers. I'm hoping the CCI magnum shot shell primers will be different.

Unlike Carlos, I did experience a little blowback. The primers were always dark and there was some residue on the receiver around the firing pin area. The rifle did shoot nice and I especially like the clean up with the new style breech plug with the threads on the out side. The rifle is a little heavy. Equipped with scope, sling and the Warne rings it weighed in at 9 lbs. 2 oz. My Accura MR equipped with scope, sling and Durasight ring weighs in at 8 lbs 4 oz.

I shot two different bullets and sabots. It did make a different on the target too even though I was only shooting 50 yards. Sorry no camera this trip. Next time I will take pictures.

T/C Shockwave 250 gr. w/yellow superglide sabots - Needed a good firm push all the down
PT Golds 265 gr. w/ Harvester black crushed rib sabot. - Loaded real nice and easy.
BH209 70 grains (by weight)
Zeiss Conquest 3 X 9 X 40
Warne medium rigs
Caldwell Lead Sled DFT with 50 lbs lead

Glad you got out to the range to shoot. So overall do you like it? Or still unsure? At least clean up was easier. I hope it works out for you.

Joe............You only need the CCI mag primers for BP's that aren't that good for BH 209. Like the CVA's with the stock BP. Guns like the Omega could shoot any primer, because it's design is perfect for BH.

This tells me the Redemption isn't ideal for BH, but will work if everything is right. Use hot primers. Make sure the load is packed tight. Meaning no loose fitting bullets. Last but no least. Make sure the flash channel is kept clean.

I wonder how a metric O ring would fit into the primer pocket? Im interested in how loose the headspace on these guns is.

Hi SuperKirby!

I did like it. I like the looks of the rifle, I like the shorter barrel and even without the recess at the end of the barrel, loading was not a problem at all. The trigger is real nice too! It's definitely a quality rifle. I'll be going back to the range and bringing the correct primers this time! I still have to make some fine tuning on the scope. I'm not sure if its my 63 year old eyes but the cross hair wasn't as crisp on the bullseye as I would like it! :)

That's a load to carry. More than a GPR. My MR with scope was 7lb 10oz. I liked it better with no scope.

I did make a call to the LHR technical staff to ask if they had a separate breech plug for pellets and one for loose Blackhorn 209. They said the current BP would shoot either one. They also told me that they were coming out with a loose powder breech plug in about a month.

Muley, yes I agree with you on the primers. The ML primers were in my shooting box from my days of shooting Triple 7 pellets. NOT anymore though :evil:

Eh? I never mentioned the ML primers.

They don't work in any gun for BH.

You must sure be glad you were'nt an ivory hunter Pete having to lug big 20 lbs doubles around ;)

No problem when I was younger. No way now. If I could afford the hunt now. I could afford someone to carry the gun. :D

I've got a Sile Hawken Hunter Carbine that's short and light. With a Leupold compact 4X scope it weighs right at 7 lbs. It shoots both maxiballs and sabots accurately at 100 yards.
Using the scope like a suitcase handle, I can carry it all day. It balances perfectly like that.

Sure, hunting Florida is like hunting at the mall. Try our mountains. :pirat:

Yeah going uphill all the time takes a toll on one , specially if you're slipping and sliding more than walking !

And you're an old fart on his last legs. There's no air at 12,000ft.

For the record. I'm done hunting. My goal is to build a Kentucky rifle for BP shoots and Rendezvous.

Just relax, and have fun.

Not sure. I need to try one with a good lock before I decide on that.

Sorry for the hijack Joe. It's what we do best here. :D

Pete there is a lot of guys on your side of the pond that can tune that lock for you to work like a charm . My 8 bore's lock was sent to Ken Netting to be breathed upon.

No problem Muley, I am enjoying the thread.

I did re-read your response too. So now I have to disagree with your statement. From my own personal experience, using a CCI Magnum shot shell primer in a CVA Accura "standard" breech plug (non Blackhorn 209) you will have many failures. I have picked bullets 5 feet in front of the shooting bench.

Well, if I build a gun it will have a Siler lock. That will already be a 1000% better than the GPR lock I tried.

It doesn't have to be as fast as a caplock, but it needs to be close, and consistent. I don't want to drive 200 miles to a shoot to have the gun going off when it feels like it. I do love the idea of a flintlock though, so i'll work on it.

Joe that sound like my attempt to make gunpowder , it made a whoosh and the ball landed about 15 yds in front of me :lol:

Back