Totally new to flintlocks

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LALeonard

Reaction score
I just inherited 2 replica flintlocks and know absolutely nothing about them. I would like to learn how to hunt and possibly do reenactment with them; they are both 58 caliber but I don't even know what supplies I need. I've used modern muzzle loaders but theses are very different. Maybe someone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction

You will use same powder that percussion rifles do. 2 F or 3 F. You can use 4 F as a priming powder or 3 f black, rock sparkers do their thing with black powder, but you can duplex if needed. Vent-hole pick before loading powder n leave it in until prb or conical is seated on powder or if you need to use an over the powder wad. .58's you could start low 40-45 gr just to get the feel of it. Prior to priming use a good absorbant rag to wipe frizzen.flint n pan.

Flintlocks are a whole different ball game but not too difficult to master.
I think that understanding how the lock functions is the most important thing.
Beyond that, it's a muzzleloader.
Read up on them a bit and there's videos out there.
For flintlock supplies, I recommend an online company trackofthewolf.com
They'll have pretty much everything you'll need, once you know the what.
There's a number of flintlock shooters here that would be happy to help out with any questions.

Welcome, from North Carolina! There are a lot of rock lock shooters on here, so you should get some good answers. Also post your questions on the traditional/sidelocks thread

The main thing about flint locks is that close familiarity with the lock and rifle is needed for use, cleaning and care. Mount the flint so that at half cock the flint is approx. 1/8" (+ or -) from the frizzen face. Some locks like the flints bevel up and some like the bevel down position. The flint should start scraping around 1/4" to 1/3" from the frizzen top. The flint should NEVER hit the frizzen straight on but should scrape down the face to create sparks. Start with a patch around .015" thick and only cotton. Hoppes is a great BP lube to use and is my favorite after 55+ years of shooting flintlocks. Spit will work as well but it will dry out after a short while. Best is to find a flintlock shooter with solid knowledge of shooting them and then ask him to mentor you.

There's a number of flintlock shooters here that would be happy to help out with any questions.

Thanks for taking time to post a reply. I'm really looking to get involved in flintlock shooting and have reached out to an enactment group near my house to make some contacts. I know there's a lot to learn about these weapons and I don't intend to just rush in without doing my homework. Thanks for the info on trackofthewolf, I'll try them. You are right about the videos being a great place for someone like me to start. Hope we chat again. THANKS

Post up any questions you have, always happy to help with the limited knowledge I have.

Common Spit is an old Cutting agent. A Damp index finger to wipe the under side of the stone and a thumb wetted with spit wiped down the hammer face has always helped me to a few medals over the last 50 years. "And" Cleanliness is next to Godliness.. O.D.

Latest posts

Back