Traditions lightning

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr1445

Reaction score
p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }
I have been looking for a 1:32 twist, <a href='/tags/11' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #11'>#11</a> cap ignition rifle. At 71 “this dog don't hunt no more” and was looking for a range shooter that uses non bh209 loose powder. I have a CVA accura mr, TC omega and a TC black diamond that can use 11 caps or 209 primers. 209 primers do a good job of forming crud rings and the 1:28 twist is not to good at conical bullets, at least in my 3 examples. I have been shooting the black diamond with a <a href='/tags/11' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #11'>#11</a> nipple and small rifle primers. The small rifle primers burn very clean in the blk dia, which is known as a dirty rifle and can set off t7 with no crud ring.
I was looking to shoot cast bullets like the lee REAL, which the 1:32 is said to handle. I also wanted a removable breech plug for safety reasons. I have a NOS Traditions lightning with muzzle brake and the 1:32 twist on order. It is one of the few rifles of that twist where the action is held in the stock by 2 screws, most are held in by one, hard to free float a 1 screw set up. Anyone still shooting one of these rifles?

Not a bad rifle. I had some some years ago. One thing that made a big difference was when I free floated the barrel. Theres a ton of material right at the front end of the stock that pushes into the barrel and causes inaccuracy issues when its hot out. That was mine, yours may be different.

if all goes as planed the rifle should be here next week. for sure i will give the barrel/stock fit the $1 bill test.  i have been shooting lee cast round balls for my 44 revolvers and hornady swagged lead hp bullets that i use in my 1894 marlin 44mag, both with a sabot. the best i could do was just under 1 inch at 50 yds, sure would like to do that 100 yds.

looking at the lee 50 cal molds.
minie bullets come in 354 and 360 grain
R.E.A.L  bullets come in 250 and 320 grains
which mold to choose?

FrontierGander said:
Not a bad rifle. I had some some years ago. One thing that made a big difference was when I free floated the barrel. Theres a ton of material right at the front end of the stock that pushes into the barrel and causes inaccuracy issues when its hot out. That was mine, yours may be different.
just as you stated regarding the front of the stock. i also did a break edge around the action area, those corners were sharp!  i tried my range load, lee cast 451 round ball, harvester sabot and 85 to 95 grains pyro rs. 3/4" 3 shot group at 50yds, not bad. next up i am going to try some lyman cast 370 grain bullets.

Latest posts

Back