Traditions Pioneer 50cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott30415

Reaction score
I acquired a older Traditons Pioneer 50 cal cap lock. The barrel however had a conical down it from a dry fire and had been left set up. After soaking the barrel in hot water and trying to remove whatever was in it, along with the condition of the barreI I have come the conclusion it is toast. However the stock is nice and I like the feel of it, and I would like to make a 32 cal out it or something like that for squirells/turkeys. What could be my options.

I guess you already tried to pull the bullet out with-a screw in bullet extractor?..next you can put some vinegar down the barrel and let it soak for a couple of days,sealing off the nipple area..then put some antacids down the barrel like tums crushed up with windex..Don’t laugh! I did this w a an old side x side shot gun and it kept it from flash rusting,it worked :)

It was pretty toast when I got it, didnt try the chemical way though. Actually pulled small pieces of lead out with the bullet puller though.

try finding a zirk fitting that will fit the nipple threads.Use a grease gun to push it out.Did that on an old cva for a friend of mine.

junkman said:
try finding a zirk fitting that will fit the nipple threads.Use a grease gun to push it out.Did that on an old cva for a friend of mine.

This does work well :yeah:

scott30415, You Don’t have a Bunch of options here, A pitted barrel is not always the End, i have seen a few Pitted Barrels shoot VERY VERY Well! You could talk to a Barrel Manufacturer like the Oregon Barrel Company, and Rice Barrels about Building you a .32 Cal, I am not sure if Rice Can/will do a .32 Cal? If you decide to have a Barrel Made, Get ready to Spend some Bucks, About 400 of them.

Thanks for all the input. Might give the grease gun bit a try. The 32 cal was thought, being new to this it sounded good just dont know about that much on a custom barrel for this. Would like to do a custom build one day though.

I believe Bobby Hoyt told me when I sent my Renegade barrel to him to be bored out that he wouldn't do Traditions guns because of barrel quality, been 2-3 yrs. so may be wrong as my memory's not the greatest :D

Renegadehunter said:
You could have the current barrel bored out to a .54 also.

Back