Training Day

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VENISONEATR

Reaction score
The cooler weather this weekend was a welcome relief! Nugbuk and I capitalized on the break from the heat and attended our NAVHDA chapters training clinic. Although the birds we got for training were way undersized and most dogs had trouble scenting the birds it was still a thing of beauty to watch them work. I of course want a finished dog at 6 months of age and was less then ecstatic with Huberts performance. It was quickly pointed out to me that I need more training then the dog does and perhaps a shock coller may need to be implemented(on my neck).
I did get some encouraging news from the trainer... he said all the dogs doing field work had a tough time scenting the birds and my pup did the best out of all of them. And the dogs drive was clearly evident.
Nugbuk's dog was pure pleasure to watch!! Her 45 min duck search in a 3 acre pond choked with lilly pads and her unbelievable restraint and discipline as a quail walked between her legs, was quite impressive. Steady is a massive understatement to say the least.
I am going to enter my pup in the "Natural Ability Test" late this summer.
Well that's about it for my weekend report. Here's a few pictures...

DSC01440Medium.jpg

DSC01444Medium.jpg

DSC01454Medium.jpg

Jim sounds like you have a great pup there, and if you get a shock collar will you let me hold the control switch for a couple minutes? I promise not to push the button, really I do.

Thanks for the story Jim. Yes I was really happy with Flicka?s performance that day.
You are right birds were really small that day. The one you see laying in front of Flicka and look like a quill is actually Canadian goose... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back